Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thipinodok

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2018
I set up my external hard drive as the source for my iTunes library a while ago, but I think maybe one of the OS or iTunes updates has made it so that iTunes doesn't recognize the folder I was using before. I've tried opening iTunes with the option key held down and selecting a new folder, and it doesn't recognize any of the folders I was using as an iTunes folder. (i've updated to mojave and have a 2015 MacBook pro retina).

I can't move all my music onto my laptop (unless it is done in batches somehow?) and start over because I have way too much music and don't have enough storage on the laptop.

The folder in the drive is called "A's iTunes" and there are subfolders within that folder called automatically add to iTunes, home videos, iPod games, movies, music, podcasts, and tv shows. I've tried selecting both that main folder and the music folder and neither one are working.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this to work without having to somehow move my entire library onto my laptop and then back on the external hard drive? Hoping to avoid having to move all my music since it usually takes hours to do.

Thanks!!!

artnoi

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2018
Bangkok
Press Option key while launching iTunes.
This will ask you to reload a library. Navigate to the top level of that folder (ie A’s iTunes) and you should be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.