Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asggold

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Ok! There are many articles out there about how to run iTunes from an external drive and/or NAS drive. However, what none of them seem to cover is the way you can connect to that external/NAS drive from outside your home network.

Here is the situation I am trying to solve for:
I have a MacBook Air with a 500 GIG HD and my iTunes library itself is around 500 GIG. I have moved the entire iTunes library to an external drive but hate the fact that I need to carry that drive around with me all the time just to use iTunes. I also have a WD My Cloud drive which I tried to put the library on. The issue there was the connection when outside my LAN. I tried connecting over SSH and FTP using CloudMount. I can see all the files but the iTunes library file will not run. I am also using a DDNS site to route incoming requests to the drive. Again, all that works to SEE the files but will not let you RUN the iTunes library file itself. So, I am trying to figure out the easiest way to do this where I can run iTunes over an external/NAS Drive and connect and run iTunes from ANYWHERE (with international access).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

asggold

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Can't believe there is no one out there who knows how to get this to work?

Any recommendations on a better place to post in order to get a response?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
What about having stored on NAS/external drive, but update library in iTunes Prefences, Advanced to that point over connection ?

I know that works on the network, but i don't see why it wouldn't do that for outside as well, as long as u have connection to the NAS remotely, as a drive, u should be able to access the library.

Last edited:

asggold

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
What about having stored on NAS/external drive, but update library in iTunes Prefences, Advanced to that point over connection ?

I know that works on the network, but i don't see why it wouldn't do that for outside as well, as long as u have connection to the NAS remotely, as a drive, u should be able to access the library.

That is the problem I ran into. I could run from the NAS/External Drive (very slow but it worked) while on my LAN. However, when I tried to run from outside the local network it would not actually run the iTunes Library file using an FTP or SSH connection.
[doublepost=1470694250][/doublepost]

Yes, this article might help. Thanks! I know the "Back to my Mac" portion is not an option but the rest of the article might provide options to get the NAS running iTunes remotely.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Let us know. I'd like to do the same thing eventually. Right now I've got iTunes on a NAS that I can access on my home network and then I've got Plex running so I can access the media away from home.

asggold

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Let us know. I'd like to do the same thing eventually. Right now I've got iTunes on a NAS that I can access on my home network and then I've got Plex running so I can access the media away from home.

Unfortunately, the article you sent the link for seemed to require a Mac Server to set-up each option. Does not seem to work when connecting directly to the NAS/external Drive.

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
afaik, & most probably could be wrong, but i'm sure it's down to the hard drive you are using as to how to access "your" tunes, iTunes will not link to a cloud/drive over the internet. Synology has ds audio/video, but iTunes does not use this, it is independent programmes. I thought maybe back to my mac, but would be useless as you have mb with you. - then again sounds like 'you're' a prime candidate for :apple:music!;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.