Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canuhandlethis8

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
take a picture of the night time sky. The stars from my house are amazing, and I would love to share. I don't have a great camera so i"m not sure if it's even possible.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
take a picture of the night time sky. The stars from my house are amazing, and I would love to share. I don't have a great camera so i"m not sure if it's even possible.

Depends on the available modes on your camera. Can you manually set the shutter speed, aperture, and/or ISO? If so, I would try setting the ISO to the lowest setting (e.g. ISO 100), closing the aperture down to f/11 or so. Then leaving the shutter open for the appropriate amount of time (depending on your camera, this might happen automatically - Av mode).

Use a tripod and a remote shutter release. If you don't have a remote, use the time-delay shutter release function.

And experiment with different settings until you get what you want.

Oh, if your camera doesn't have manual modes, then it probably has a "night" mode. Use that ... but remember to use the tripod and time-delay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.