Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original Human

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
I recently uploaded a series of 3 videos about the new Nike edition Apple Watch...

Unboxing

Review

''How to" - Setting up the Watch for music and running without your iPhone

I really hope these videos answer some questions for you about the new watch and help you decide if its worth your money! If there is any other questions please don't hesitate to ask. I can take pictures of the Watch and help with any technical difficulties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jaimmin

Jaimmin

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2014
Mumbai, India
OP - Ok I understand the NCR app thing, but how important is calibration on s2 running 3.1 to track Activity(steps) accurately? And whats the best way to calibrate besides what apple says about the 20min walk and run. How many times? What if more than 20 mins? Same route or try different routes?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
OP - Ok I understand the NCR app thing, but how important is calibration on s2 running 3.1 to track Activity(steps) accurately? And whats the best way to calibrate besides what apple says about the 20min walk and run. How many times? What if more than 20 mins? Same route or try different routes?
Steps do not require any calibration. Steps are a simple count. Calibration is in relation to your stride length and is used for determining distance covered (cadence [steps] x stride length = distance).

Your stride length needs at least 20 minutes of use to average out and make a calibration. Anytime after that you use your iPhone it will continue to dynamically calibrate to your current average stride length.

Running and walking must each be calibrated independently (minimum of a 20 minute walk and a 20 minute run).

Jaimmin

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2014
Mumbai, India
Steps do not require any calibration. Steps are a simple count. Calibration is in relation to your stride length and is used for determining distance covered (cadence [steps] x stride length = distance).

Your stride length needs at least 20 minutes of use to average out and make a calibration. Anytime after that you use your iPhone it will continue to dynamically calibrate to your current average stride length.

Running and walking must each be calibrated independently (minimum of a 20 minute walk and a 20 minute run).

Thanks for the info.

One more thing, can i calibrate a 20 min outdoor walk and run more than once? As in, did a 20 outdoor walk and a run(separately) today, now again i plan to do it day after. Will this help in more accuracy or just 1 of each is enough?

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Thanks for the info.

One more thing, can i calibrate a 20 min outdoor walk and run more than once? As in, did a 20 outdoor walk and a run(separately) today, now again i plan to do it day after. Will this help in more accuracy or just 1 of each is enough?
You could do it a dozen times and let it keep refining its calibration. Not necessary to get too specific about it.

The stride length calibration matters for those of us who are on the older "Series 0" and new Series 1 watches since they don't have onboard GPS. Once calibrated, it's supposed to be better at gauging distance without using GPS.

For Series 2, which is what the Nike AW is, the GPS takes care of getting accurate distance for you.

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
Why would you need to calibrate an S2 Watch with an onboard GPS?

Edit: As BarracksSI pointed out, there is no reason to calibrate an S2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.