Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
Germany
Can anyone shed some light on this problem that I have. I'd like to use the new Scotland, England and Wales emojis in a Pages document that I have (it's a drinks menu where I'd like to show country of origin of certain gins). I can see the three aforementioned emojis in the list of available via the command+ctrl+space key combo, but only a black flag is shown after inserting it. Is this an out of date font that I have or a late implementation fail by Apple or something else?

If anyone can shed some light or provide a solution that doesn't involve inserting images, I'd appreciate that greatly.

(High sierra, latest Pages, iMac 2017 27".)

daio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
Germany
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I'd tried both of those ideas, to no success. PDF still showed the black flags too.

After the updated iWork software was released yesterday, I was able to get the desired effect using the emjois working, without showing the previously mentioned black flags. Seems it was just a bug in the software.

Sadly there are new issues with the latest release of Pages for Mac, in that the PDF exported view of the Pages document looks exactly as it should, exactly as expected, pixel perfect, but when viewed on a PC, some polygons are shifted slightly which has an effect on the aesthetics of the output. Not a big issue when only viewing on Macs but sadly the printing company I use to print the menus onto card and bind them use PCs. It probably not a fault of the Pages app or even the Mac, but an inconsistency in the PDF format and scaling.

Still, most probably the most powerful multi-platform WYSIWYG publisher/word processor out there for that price.

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I'd tried both of those ideas, to no success. PDF still showed the black flags too.

After the updated iWork software was released yesterday, I was able to get the desired effect using the emjois working, without showing the previously mentioned black flags. Seems it was just a bug in the software.

Sadly there are new issues with the latest release of Pages for Mac, in that the PDF exported view of the Pages document looks exactly as it should, exactly as expected, pixel perfect, but when viewed on a PC, some polygons are shifted slightly which has an effect on the aesthetics of the output. Not a big issue when only viewing on Macs but sadly the printing company I use to print the menus onto card and bind them use PCs. It probably not a fault of the Pages app or even the Mac, but an inconsistency in the PDF format and scaling.

Still, most probably the most powerful multi-platform WYSIWYG publisher/word processor out there for that price.
Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I also think it's the best word processor out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.