Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I have a Nikon Pronea 6I from years ago, and with it the IX-Nikkor 60-180mm, and the IX-Nikkor 20-60mm. Since these lenses are not compatible with my D60, I was going to sell the Pronea and the lenses on ebay. Well, looking at the sales history of this camera, I would have hard time giving it away.

I went into a privately owned local camera shop, who buys and sells used camera gear. I mentioned the Pronea 6I and there was no way he was going to take it, even on a trade in.

We start talking lenses, and he says he has a theory, that if you were to dremel down the large plastic ring, you could manually use these lenses on a 35mm Nikon.

So, being the do-it-yourself sort of guy, and knowing the stuff I had was either going to sit in a box for eternity, I decided to give this a try, and to my surprise, it actually worked.

I didn't think to take before and after photos, so I found an image of the 60-180mm lens on the web as my before...

ix60180.jpg

So, here's a quick shot of some really bad dremel work on the lens...

lens.jpg

I did this with both the 60-180mm, and the 20-60mm, and took another real quick shot of one my kids toys laying around the house with the 20-60mm, and that shot is here...

toy.jpg

It's obviously only going to work manually, and it won't let you go all the way to say 60 on the 60-180mm. You have to start at about 100mm or so, because the shutter sticks.

I would never actually use these lenses for anything, this was more a proof of concept. I'm also nervous about the possibility of hurting the D60 somehow, but there you have it. Me with too much time on my hands tonight, and I thought maybe some of you would find this interesting.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Congrats, well here is what I know, sometime removing the plastic thingy allows the lens to be mounted on the body, the only concern that you should have is if the mirror touches the lens then say bye bye to your camera body.

Canon dont allow you to mount an EF-S lens onto an EF body but the workaround is pretty simple, just cut the black plastic extender (before the gold plates of course), and this will make an EF-S lens mountable onto an EF lens but the problem is, like mentioned above, if the mirror touches the lens then say bye bye to your camera body, and of course since and EF-S lens is meant for APS-C sensor, mounting it on an FF sensor will introduce vignetting. Screw Canon for not making their EF-S lens compatible to EF bodies.

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
I assume that controlling aperture, etc. is no problem and the lens will fully meter as the exif of the test image says:

-shutter speed: 1/80
-aperture: f/6.3
-shooting mode: aperture priority
-metering: matrix
-focal length: 60mm

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I just wonder what'd happen if Nikon made contact mount threads like Canon.... the contacts are located on the thread rather than the side walls.... lol..

I'll pray for any other IX lenses that you might have....

Nice work though...

You could try shaving the mirror on the D60 for achieving full wide angle zooming... no??

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Congrats, well here is what I know, sometime removing the plastic thingy allows the lens to be mounted on the body, the only concern that you should have is if the mirror touches the lens then say bye bye to your camera body..

Exactly. This is why I'm never going to actually use these lenses. I just wanted to see for myself if this would work. I'm SURE this is the furthest thing from "smart" you could do with this camera. :D

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Exactly. This is why I'm never going to actually use these lenses. I just wanted to see for myself if this would work. I'm SURE this is the furthest thing from "smart" you could do with this camera. :D

According to a brief mention on Rorslett's site, the mount-ectomy you performed protected your body from the potential for that damage occurring. He wasn't impressed with the one IX-Nikkor lens he tested though and indicated he got it at no cost for the sole purpose of harvesting the matrix chip inside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.