Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iainmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I'm tempted to go back to iOS 9.3.3 so I can use the new (semi-tethered) jailbreak and get all my useful jailbreak tweaks and stuff back.
But I also like the new features in iOS 10, like lockscreen widgets.

Anyone else tempted?

Last edited:

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Been there and yes, it's great :)
IOS 10 is very promising in my opinion, but 9.3.3 + jailbreak, at least at the moment definitely a better choice....more space to play with it :)

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If there are enough tweaks bringing iOS 10 specific feature (software wise) to iOS 9 then you can jump the ship. Uh, I mean, I may consider jumping the ship...

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
I tried the jailbreak but I missed iOS 10 too much.

on the other side here, was in ios10, downgraded, jailbroke and never looked back. loving the jailbroken SE, this thing is FAST coming from a 5s...

only thing I miss from 10 is the raise to wake thing, but no way i'd trade a jailbreak for that. there is probably a tweak that does it anyway :)

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
on the other side here, was in ios10, downgraded, jailbroke and never looked back. loving the jailbroken SE, this thing is FAST coming from a 5s...

only thing I miss from 10 is the raise to wake thing, but no way i'd trade a jailbreak for that. there is probably a tweak that does it anyway :)

I just like the added 3D Touch features and the new look of the lock screen. I'm already used to the push to unlock thing.

When I tried buying a tweak from Cydia, it told me it's not set up for purchases yet. I jailbreaked mainly to add tethering to my Cricket iPad. But since I couldn't buy a tweak, being jailbroken was pointless for me.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
well i had already bought all the tweaks I use so it was just a matter of installing them :) they all worked surprisingly well out of the box on 9.3.3 and the ones who did not on sunday are updated already.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
What you do when in future require IOS 10 for something like a required iPhoto or music update? Even some popular third party apps may require current versions of IOS. This is why I stopped jailbreaking my devices a long time ago.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I went from iOS 10 on my iPad mini 2 and iPhone 6 to jail broken iOS 9.3.3 on both. First time jailbreaking.

I. Love. It.

It was a fantastic decision. iOS 10 was.. Okay. Not great in my opinion. I'm not a fan on any of the UI changes, except for some of the animations. I feel like everything has been implemented sloppily, like any task you want to do takes an extra step or two for absolutely no reason. Just because of poorly implemented/thought out UI.

iOS 10 was exceptionally smooth though, better in some areas on my iPad mini 2. I do miss that. Extremely stable for a beta. Also, universal clipboard. I miss that too. But that's very situational, I can just paste something into notes and it will sync over. A little more slow and haphazard but it works. Honestly can't think of any other features I'm missing right now, other than some fun messaging stuff but I can live without it...

If I were you I'd move to iOS 9.3.3 and jailbreak while you can. You don't know how long it may take for a new jailbreak once Apple releases new firmware and closes the iOS 9.3.3 signing window. I have been waiting since freaking November for this jailbreak. NOT fun.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
iOS 10 beta was fun but undoubtedly 9.3.3.

Opened up iOS and a mature version of iOS ?? No brainer (for me)

Rolled back both iPad pros (12.9 came with iOS 9.2.1 and was tired of waiting stuck stock so) and SE.

6s+ went from 9.0.2 to 9.3.3. Quantum leap in smoothness

J_Thomas

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2016
Tacoma, WA
When I tried buying a tweak from Cydia, it told me it's not set up for purchases yet. I jailbreaked mainly to add tethering to my Cricket iPad. But since I couldn't buy a tweak, being jailbroken was pointless for me.

So are you saying if I jailbreak I won't be able to buy tweaks? I'm just checking because I don't have any tweaks yet as I have never jailbroken iPhone. Do I have to purchase beforehand?

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
For those new to jailbreak.....after every jailbreak release, Cydia or some system tweaks inside need to be updated also.
Usually takes couple of days, maybe a week or two max. During that time the purchases in Cydia are blocked. That's a standard procedure from the very beginning of jailbreaking.

Reactions: J_Thomas

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
So are you saying if I jailbreak I won't be able to buy tweaks? I'm just checking because I don't have any tweaks yet as I have never jailbroken iPhone. Do I have to purchase beforehand?

You won't be able to for a bit but that will likely change soon. @bbrks said it well.

For those new to jailbreak.....after every jailbreak release, Cydia or some system tweaks inside need to be updated also.
Usually takes couple of days, maybe a week or two max. During that time the purchases in Cydia are blocked. That's a standard procedure from the very beginning of jailbreaking.

Reactions: bbrks and J_Thomas

Zimmy68

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Ever since they added the control panel and widgets, I never saw the need to jailbreak anymore.

What does it offer you that you can't currently get?

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Fir example this :)
f42066a9a5ecb2ada2977d646e652230.png

Not to mention Activator....with it, pressing a home button is history.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
Im not sure where this would fit best but here's my question, have any of you tried both the latest public beta and also the latest jailbreak? Which do you prefer? I thought I'd like the jailbreaking as I'm a former rooted android user but so far it's not as "great" as I thought and I'm considering going back to iOS 10. Thoughts and options welcome, just to be clear I'm not asking what I should do, just want to hear others opinions.

anon.guy

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2016
Jailbroke my 6s and installed a bunch of tweaks but I didn't like any of them, they are poorly designed and there are quite a few bugs with them so I went back to ios 10. To me it feels faster and smoother. On the other hand, I jailbroke my mini 2 just to install a tweak that enables split view on older ipads cause I barely use my ipad but split view might bring some useful functionality to it.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
I wish they come out with an ios10 Jb. If you don't use multi-language keyboard, not worried about native widgets, and the new look of the music App, memories in photo then is ok to stick with an iOS 9.3 jb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.