Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
Suppose, I have a new iPhone 6s with latest iOS, and I want to find vulnerabilities in iOS itself. I'm new to iOS and OS X. How do I set up the proper environment for this? What software and/or hardware tools do I need to accomplish this?

P.S.: Which component of iOS would you recommend me to start with? Which one is more likely to contain vulnerabilities that could result in jailbreak?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have no clue how you'd start.

I will point this out though. The majority of successful jailbreakers (and devs) have Apple developer accounts.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
Do you have any coding experience at all? If not, don't even try.
You need to have alot of experience with c/c++/objective c to even think about starting out with a jailbreak. Most members of the jailbreak teams were also taught hacking ios specifically to supplement their coding knowledge.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
Do you have any coding experience at all? If not, don't even try.
You need to have alot of experience with c/c++/objective c to even think about starting out with a jailbreak. Most members of the jailbreak teams were also taught hacking ios specifically to supplement their coding knowledge.
Yes, I do have programming experience(BTW, I'm currently studying CS). But my question was not about internals of iOS. It was rather about tools and methods for debugging and exploiting latest iOS.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
Yes, I do have programming experience(BTW, I'm currently studying CS). But my question was not about internals of iOS. It was rather about tools and methods for debugging and exploiting latest iOS.
You can start here
https://reverse.put.as/wp-content/u...ser_iOS_Kernel_Exploitation_IOKit_Edition.pdf
There are also seminars/meet ups/conferences to discuss latest exploits and methods.
Also watch YouTube video of older ios exploitation conferences. They are extremely helpful.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
You can try contacting Stefan though I doubt he'll help unless you took one of his classes. You can try the old cable to lightning adapter.
Also try reddit and see if there are more like you trying to get into ios exploitation.
On a side note: I'm also a computer science student and was wondering specifically what you're doing for your degree and future career plans.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
You can try contacting Stefan though I doubt he'll help unless you took one of his classes. You can try the old cable to lightning adapter.
Also try reddit and see if there are more like you trying to get into ios exploitation.
On a side note: I'm also a computer science student and was wondering specifically what you're doing for your degree and future career plans.
I guess poking around new one is a better investment of one's time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.