Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thericker52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
anyone having trouble with java? I have version 8 update 91 and keep getting a warning about updating, but when I go to the control panel it tells me i am up to date

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
I just removed Java from mine.
The only reason I had it were due to some login functions were Java were needed on my side. The company moved the login to a java script handled server side some time ago.
Can't say I miss it

Reactions: !!!

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Are you having the same issue as:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/osx-el-capitan-and-java-version-8-update-60.1925994/

If you are having the same issue and if you are using Chrome - I've said this in another thread - it just perplexes me why Chrome requires the JDK vs. the JRE. A lot of people seem to be having this problem - they should be contacting Google to find a better way to resolve this.

If you're having a different issue, post a screenshot or the exact message you're getting.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
I tbh run alternate java's in a windows VM. Whatever apple ships with and updates is what I run on it. Not a big java fan, above reason of version conflicts one of them, so I avoid this version games on host mac os if I can. I find it gives me a nice cutoff. Is what is needing something different worth firing up the VM? Sometimes the answer is no lol.

reason for needing SDK over JRE is most likely Google pulling on libraries specific to JDK. Google not really to blame there fully. Its also java being java and pulling this crap. Most languages give you all in one on the base install. Just add additional stuff as needed which are usually just specialized coding. Like say Bio-python, adds support for Biology work via premade functions and such. Non biology users would not need this...so its not pulled down by default. Only other language offhand I know that has a developer core install is R. And it has that to build packages by and large. Not making your own packages, you won't need to pull this down most likely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.