Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mermaid2010

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Cornwall, UK
Hi
I have just upgraded to El Capitan on my 2011 MacBook Pro but now every time I start her up I get this annoying message To use the "java" command-line tool you need to install a JDK. El Capitan OS X "
and I don't have Java on my MacBook.

I saw a fix on YouTube here
But they are telling you to download JAVA, I thought that was a bad idea unless you need it which I don't!

How do I get rid of this pesky message please?

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Do you use Chrome? I don't but it appears that if you use Chrome, you need to have a Java JDK. If you upgraded from an older version of OSX (pre-Mavericks, I think), Apple included their version of the JDK in previous versions of OSX (but no longer does) and that's a possible reason why you get this message after upgrading to El Capitan.

So if you use Chrome and you upgraded from an OSX before Mavericks, then you have two choices - don't use Mavericks or install a JDK. If this does not describe your situation, you would need to find out what program needs the JDK - I would suggest running etrecheck and if you can't figure out what program requires the JDK, post the results here.

https://etrecheck.com/

EDIT: OOOPS - that should have been don't use Chrome (not Mavericks) but I think the OP figured that out.

Last edited:

mermaid2010

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Cornwall, UK
Do you use Chrome? I don't but it appears that if you use Chrome, you need to have a Java JDK. If you upgraded from an older version of OSX (pre-Mavericks, I think), Apple included their version of the JDK in previous versions of OSX (but no longer does) and that's a possible reason why you get this message after upgrading to El Capitan.

So if you use Chrome and you upgraded from an OSX before Mavericks, then you have two choices - don't use Mavericks or install a JDK. If this does not describe your situation, you would need to find out what program needs the JDK - I would suggest running etrecheck and if you can't figure out what program requires the JDK, post the results here.

https://etrecheck.com/

Hi, thanks
Yes I do use CHROME and was upgrading from LION! a big upgrade
will look into what you suggest
many thanks :)

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I could be Chrome.

Could also be a host of other apps that might be installed. For example, OpenOffice/LibreOffice use Java for their MS Access-like feature. If I recall correctly, some Adobe apps use Java.

The message appearing at startup, or, when you invoke a program? If at startup, might want to look in your Login Items under System Settings > Users. And/or ~/Library/LaunchAgents. System start items might be under /Library/LaunchAgents, /Library/LaunchDaemons.

mermaid2010

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Cornwall, UK
it i
I could be Chrome.

Could also be a host of other apps that might be installed. For example, OpenOffice/LibreOffice use Java for their MS Access-like feature. If I recall correctly, some Adobe apps use Java.

The message appearing at startup, or, when you invoke a program? If at startup, might want to look in your Login Items under System Settings > Users. And/or ~/Library/LaunchAgents. System start items might be under /Library/LaunchAgents, /Library/LaunchDaemons.

It is at start up. I have located the folder you suggest and attach it.
The only file I see that I do not use is the Vodafone one 4th one down. Can I just delete this file Ok?

Attachments

• screenshot1.jpg
    screenshot1.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 262

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
See if Chrome is starting at login. Right-click on the Chrome icon in the dock. Click on Options. Make sure "Open at Login" is not checked. Also make sure you close Chrome before shutting down or logging out. If Chrome is set to start when you login and the popup doesn't appear once that doesn't happen, then it's Chrome.

You may also want to try logging in to your computer with another user (if you don't have one, you'd have to create one). If the popup doesn't appear when logging as the other user, whatever it is specific to your account and looking in the system-wide launch directories wasn't necessary.

mermaid2010

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Cornwall, UK
Tried both those suggestions - did not help :(
I have even deleted the CHROME app and that also did not help
As nobomac said before: some Adobe apps use Java...... I DO have ADOBE CC which connects and is in the Launch Agents but I need those., but perhaps that is the culprit? Oh dear what to do...

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Well, if it is Adobe, download the Java JDK and install. Have your browser(s) setup to not run Java automatically.

Only other option is to replace Adobe with something that does not need Java.

Reactions: mermaid2010

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
If it's not Chrome (well, it is Chrome but it's not the only program wanting Java), then the next likely candidate is Adobe CC. The popup you get specifically asks for the JDK vs. the JRE (or "Runtime") and while it's clear that Chrome wants the JDK, it wasn't clear to me, as a non-user of Adobe CC and looking on the Web, that Adobe CC required the JDK vs. the JRE, although if your CC has Flash development software, it looks like that requires the JDK. The JDK vs. JRE may seem uninteresting, but it does help in pinpointing what software is the one asking for Java.

In any case, I would agree with NoBoMac that it probably will be less work if you were just to install the Java JDK unless you can do without Adobe CC. There have been security issues with the Java web plugin, but you can disable that in the browsers you're using. I use Firefox and Safari so if you need to know how to disable them there, let us know. The other problem with the current Java JDK is that as a default, it will enable Ask adware. But you can disable that as well. You need to download the JDK (8u91 is fine), not the JRE ("Runtime").

Java JDK download: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html

How to disable Ask adware: https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/disable_offers.xml

Reactions: mermaid2010

mermaid2010

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Cornwall, UK
seems a heavy thing to do to install JAVA just to get rid of message., thinking I shall put up with message!
[doublepost=1467567105][/doublepost]Many thanks for that informative reply will think on later.., just hate putting something on I dont need esp on my Macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.