Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
I have recently upgraded the SSD on my MBP Retina 13" Early 2015 with a Transcend JetDrive 820, 480GB model. All is fine and good, the speed is decent, the MBP boots as fast as before or at least it feels so, never an hiccup.

My only issue is the the SSD temperature, monitored with iStat Menus, seems to have raised from an average of 40C to 60C. It didn't seem to matter much in terms of fan speeding, it usually stays between 1200-1800 rpm, but I believe it is draining my battery a bit too much, of which I am not very pleased at all.

Is it normal? Or something is either wrong with my SSD or maybe I didn't install it correctly (not that there was much to do, just slide it in and fix the screw on its place)? Anyone with the same SSD getting normal temperatures? Suggestions?

Last edited:

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
MacOS's battery management works best with the original SSD. Other people that have switched to a third-party nvme drive experience the same battery drain. Some people experience sleep/wake and reboot functions too.

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
Ok, thanks, But 20C more seems a bit too much to me. I wonder if it would be suggested to update the SSD firmware for this issue. I mean, the installed FW is the one before the last, I doubt if there was an heating problem it was fixed only on the last FW release (it's a dilemma because it seems updating the SSD FW wipes the whole disk).

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
Contact OWC and see what they say.
It's a Transcend, actually. I decided to get it instead of a OWC because looking at the Amazon reviews there were many less complaints. Also it was 100 Euro cheaper..

But yes, I have opened a call with Transcend via web browser. It was Friday, hopefully Monday they will tell me something. In the meantime I have raised the minimum fan speed to 2000 rpm with iStat Menus and now the SSD top temperature is 55 C. The CPU stays at 55-56C as well right now. At least it feels a bit cooler.

I must mention that having installed macOS Mojave at the same time doesn't help at all in terms off heating. But I have also High Sierra in the second partition and the SSD stays at 60C with that as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.