Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you prefer JohnDoe@me.com or JohnDoe@icloud.com?

• JohnDoe@me.com

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • JohnDoe@icloud.com

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
Here's a crazy question. I was one of those people who was able to get the .me email address way back when. The way apple has the .me set up now is to allow a choice for an apple email address. You can use either .me or .cloud. Which do you prefer.....and why? See examples below:

Do you prefer JohnDoe@me.com or JohnDoe@icloud.com? And why?

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
My iCloud AppleID is an @me.com address - I log into this on my cMP my iPhone 7Plus and my iPad Air2, plus some other backup hard drives for my cMP. I don't clear emails from my @me.com on any of my Macs or devices – don't even check it.

My iTunes AppleID is from my own domain name - eg blah@mydomain.com. I use this for iOS App Sore (for iOS devices) and the Mac App Store (for my Macs). I use this email as my primary email account, but I have several others.

Reactions: jusacruiser

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
The .Mac addresses were ages ago, back when you had to pay Apple $99 a year for your account. I signed up before that with the old iTools and Mac.com. That was back when you got a whopping 20MB of iDisk space for online storage. That's why I don't mind paying a buck a month for 50GB.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
The .Mac addresses were ages ago, back when you had to pay Apple $99 a year for your account. I signed up before that with the old iTools and Mac.com. That was back when you got a whopping 20MB of iDisk space for online storage. That's why I don't mind paying a buck a month for 50GB.

The @me.com addresses were also paid. They came with the $99/year MobileMe disaster... but Apple has retained them to this point... and they are aliased to the @icloud.com (or they are aliased the other way).

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I had two mac.com emails, one I used only for purchases and one I saved as a backup email. Since my wife's initials are the same as mine I gave her my spare email when she needed an Apple ID many years ago.

But when we got the kids iPhones in 2009, and we all needed to sync to the cloud separately, my mac.com was the one we used for family iTunes purchases (since probably 2003). So at that time I had to get a new me.com for syncing my private iCloud data.

I just NEVER liked the me.com, which seems even sillier now that MobileMe is no longer a thing.

My kids still access the mac.com email that is associated with our iTunes store ID, and they can use their .mac alias that they used as little kids on that account. But those mac.com email aliases can never be turned into a full blown Apple ID, which ticked them off when they were forced to get a me.com ID later on.

Odysee

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2007
Manchester, UK
I have my old @me email address, but only use it for testing purposes (Website development), but I have a main iCloud account I setup in 2014 which is my main email.

Not going to lie.. I would LOVE a @Mac email... anyone selling one? ;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I prefer the icloud domain over the me. Something about @me really rubs me the wrong way. I'm fortunate enough that I have a @Mac account, so I use that, but I also use an alias on the iCloud domain.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Variation makes the day :)

I use them all when I need to. Not generally as I use my own domains mail addresses more
Have a few different handles to the me, icloud, mac, so it’s useful at times.
Unfortunately it seems like other people wants them too, as it comes invoices and some serious stuff to those addresses st times. Sad for them. Not much spam though.

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
I had two mac.com emails, one I used only for purchases and one I saved as a backup email. Since my wife's initials are the same as mine I gave her my spare email when she needed an Apple ID many years ago.

But when we got the kids iPhones in 2009, and we all needed to sync to the cloud separately, my mac.com was the one we used for family iTunes purchases (since probably 2003). So at that time I had to get a new me.com for syncing my private iCloud data.

I just NEVER liked the me.com, which seems even sillier now that MobileMe is no longer a thing.

My kids still access the mac.com email that is associated with our iTunes store ID, and they can use their .mac alias that they used as little kids on that account. But those mac.com email aliases can never be turned into a full blown Apple ID, which ticked them off when they were forced to get a me.com ID later on.
Consider yourself lucky. @Mac emails are the holy grail.

Shadow Jolteon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2018
I prefer iCloud.com over me.com, but I don't care for either really. MobileMe and "me.com" always felt a bit cheap to me for some reason, but I don't really have any reason for that.

I use my mac.com address as my primary for most things, though, since I never cared for the other options.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
The one huge downside to having an OG mac.com address is that Apple really dropped the security ball on them at the beginning. I get far more spam and phishing email at my mac.com address than at any other address I have and use. Seems like Apple hasn't given their email the care it deserves where spam is concerned. I get none through gmail or my ISP account. Seems like Apple could add a few people to the email issue and clean things up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.