Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2007
Canada
I just recently got myself a Nikon D70s-IR camera (shoots exclusively Infrared Pictures). I have some initial results and would like some feedback on what people think.

Some Landscape:
3391018128_5972ff00f2_m.jpg
3375878666_951b70b2fc_m.jpg
3361542044_79aa6a5d17_m.jpg

Model:
3392390919_c2334dd480_m.jpg

More IR Photos On Flickr by Me

I also started a blog on my IR photography, sort of a follow me on my journey into the unseen, I'm not sure if that is of interest to anyone, but here it is...
Hyper Photo Cube - Journey into Infrared Photography

Thoughts on Improvements?

Apr 10, 2007
Nice photos but im curious as to why you would want to take infrared photographs in the first place :confused:.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Nice photos but im curious as to why you would want to take infrared photographs in the first place :confused:.

People just do it. Maybe it's something that interests him.
Thats like saying, why do you watch football? You may like it but not everyone else does.
(Not being rude, I know text can come off in a different manner than talking)

I personally think the infrared thing is pretty cool, along with FLIR cameras and things of that nature.

Apr 10, 2007
People just do it. Maybe it's something that interests him.
Thats like saying, why do you watch football? You may like it but not everyone else does.
(Not being rude, I know text can come off in a different manner than talking)

I personally think the infrared thing is pretty cool, along with FLIR cameras and things of that nature.

I know it interests them, but I thought there was something else to it, and that I might have been missing something, like it showed more detail, or something.

I didn't mean to sound rude either.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
I know it interests them, but I thought there was something else to it, and that I might have been missing something, like it showed more detail, or something.

I didn't mean to sound rude either.

It was more en vogue during the film era as an additional artistic effect in an image. Digital, having so many immediate effects at your disposal has rendered IR irrelevant, IMHO.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
To the OP: Dont be discouraged about infrared photography if no one else seems to like it. (unless your trying to sell the prints! haha ;) )
But seriously, If it's something your into and it's something you like then stick to it!! Most the pictures I take are what looks good to me or what I like. I'm not out trying to please anyone. (unless its for a job of course)
Photography is almost like music, everyone has there own taste..

Apr 10, 2007
To the OP: Dont be discouraged about infrared photography if no one else seems to like it. (unless your trying to sell the prints! haha ;) )
But seriously, If it's something your into and it's something you like then stick to it!! Most the pictures I take are what looks good to me or what I like. I'm not out trying to please anyone. (unless its for a job of course)
Photography is almost like music, everyone has there own taste..

hey I never said I didn't like it, they are pretty cool, I was just asking why you would use it, like HDR you use when you have bright and dark areas, I thought there might be instances where it would be a good idea to use this.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
hey I never said I didn't like it, they are pretty cool, I was just asking why you would use it, like HDR you use when you have bright and dark areas, I thought there might be instances where it would be a good idea to use this.

Sorry I wasnt referring to you directly. Others above were saying that it's kind of "out dated" or replaced by digital effects and what not. I just dont want the OP to be discouraged in something that he might really like doing.

I dont really know a specific use for infrared photography. I guess its just a "style." Just like you have macro or landscapes or portraits

EDIT: From Wikipedia:
When these filters are used together with infrared-sensitive film or sensors, very interesting "in-camera effects" can be obtained; false-color or black-and-white images with a dreamlike or sometimes lurid appearance known as the "Wood Effect," an effect mainly caused by foliage (such as tree leaves and grass) strongly reflecting in the same way visible light is reflected from snow. There is a small contribution from chlorophyll fluorescence, but this is extremely small and is not the real cause of the brightness seen in infrared photographs. The effect is named after the infrared photography pioneer Robert W. Wood, and not after the material wood, which does not glow under infrared.
The other attributes of infrared photographs include very dark skies and penetration of atmospheric haze, caused by reduced Rayleigh scattering and Mie scattering, respectively, compared to visible light. The dark skies, in turn, result in less infrared light in shadows and dark reflections of those skies from water, and clouds will stand out strongly. These wavelengths also penetrate a few millimeters into skin and give a milky look to portraits, although eyes often look black.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I dont really know a specific use for infrared photography. I guess its just a "style." Just like you have macro or landscapes or portraits

Erm... landscapes and portraits are subjects, rather than styles.

Infra-red photography is heavy on the "Wow!" factor... particularly for people who haven't seen such pictures before. But, like a lot of other photo-techniques that change the look of pix dramatically, the appeal tends to wear off pretty fast. From "Wow!" to "Whatever..."

A camera that only shoots IR seems a bit one-paced... like a car with only one gear... or a radio that will only pick up the World Service... ;)

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
A camera that only shoots IR seems a bit one-paced... like a car with only one gear... or a radio that will only pick up the World Service... ;)

I totally agree with you. As I said I just didnt want the OP to be discouraged just because others dont like IR photography. Chances are, thats not his only camera!
And please excuse my analogy of "style" I just meant some people are into it just as some people are into other types of photography.
I define photography as a "style" just like art has it's own style or music its own style.. Everyone has there own "style"

Style
n.
1. The way in which something is said, done, expressed, or performed: a style of speech, art, and writing.
2. The combination of distinctive features of literary or artistic expression, execution, or performance characterizing a particular person, group, school, or era.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Is that D70-IR a factory issue, or is it a modified regular camera? I can't find much about it online.

Apr 10, 2007
Seems that when you convert it your only changing the piece over the sensor, could you get similar results with a IR screw on lens filter?

niuniu

macrumors 68020
I absolutely love IR photography - I love the bleakness it can create. Anyways, most people don't enjoy it, but stick at it. I'm currently messing around with a D40 and a Hoya R72 then using PS to get the effect.. requires effort, but it's enjoyable.

Big step getting your camera IR kitted, congrats !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.