Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShinyToy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Hi there!

I recently deleted my entire photo collection. Yes, I nearly died. Luckily, I used both Data Rescue II and FileSalvage 6 and it seems that, as far as I can tell, I've saved all my photographs. (FileSalvage 6 was superior in recovering files without corrupting them.)

There's one problem though. Many of the pictures take up more space than they did before recovery. The photographs were generally between 2 and 6 mb. Now many of them are between 15 and 40mb.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for how to quickly and safely return them to a respectable size? I think what I want is a simple batch editor to open them all up and just save-as or something. I don't want to lose their quality or anything in the process.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

ShinyToy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I've found a couple of options - SnapsCleaner and ProJPEG.

Has anyone had much experience with these? I don't want to remove any matadata - I just want to correct the file sizes.

Cheers.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I don't want to lose their quality or anything in the process.!

Every single time you resave a JPG you lose quality, that's an artifact of lossy compression algorithms and cannot be avoided if you're going to save with JPEG. The only way to see if the loss is significant is to resave to a different directory and then compare the two.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

There's one problem though. Many of the pictures take up more space than they did before recovery. The photographs were generally between 2 and 6 mb. Now many of them are between 15 and 40mb.

• Which file system does your recovery disk have?
  • Are you looking at your photographs' file sizes while they are stored on the recovery disk?
  • What are their sizes after you copy them over to your Mac's internal hard drive?

ShinyToy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.