Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barryg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
When i imported my pictures to my new Mac from windows. some images have distorted the best way to descibe them now is they look like film negatives ? ? color all wrong.. i have tried editing them to fix no help ? i have deleted them and reimported them still no help ?
See one of the images here http://www.barrygraham.ie/Site_2/Images.html

thanks
Barry

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I would try converting them to another image format so OSX can generate new previews.

Do you have Photoshop or some other image editor? I am not too familiar with iPhoto, so I don't know if it can convert JPGs to TIFFs or anything.

barryg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
I would try converting them to another image format so OSX can generate new previews.

Do you have Photoshop or some other image editor? I am not too familiar with iPhoto, so I don't know if it can convert JPGs to TIFFs or anything.

Il try it, dont know why it has only happend to some images ??

barryg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
When i imported my pictures to my new Mac from windows. some images have distorted the best way to descibe them now is they look like film negatives ? ? color all wrong.. i have tried editing them to fix no help ? i have deleted them and reimported them still no help ?
See one of the images here http://www.barrygraham.ie/Site_2/Images.html

thanks
Barry

for some reason if i open the files with firefox they open perfect? and if i then copy the file i can paste to email etc and the color stays correct? what is going on??

Macmonter

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
Vermont, USA
Look for the commonality in the corrupted images by opening several good and bad images in Bridge and check the metadata. That's a start in finding a possible solution.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Sounds to me like a "color space" issue.

What happens is that on the PC the software is completely ignoring the color profile and assumes it is just sRGB. But then inside the file there is a profile much different from sRGB. the Mac does the "right thing" and actually reads this information but of course the Mac is not smart enough to know it is corrupted.

If I'm right you can fix this in Photoshop by assigning an sRGB color space with would force the internal information in the JPG fie to match what those non-color managed applications assume.

BTW I went to look at your file and it's not there. So I'm guessing.

barryg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
Sounds to me like a "color space" issue.

What happens is that on the PC the software is completely ignoring the color profile and assumes it is just sRGB. But then inside the file there is a profile much different from sRGB. the Mac does the "right thing" and actually reads this information but of course the Mac is not smart enough to know it is corrupted.

If I'm right you can fix this in Photoshop by assigning an sRGB color space with would force the internal information in the JPG fie to match what those non-color managed applications assume.

BTW I went to look at your file and it's not there. So I'm guessing.
I dont have photo shop unfortunately

I have fixed the web page

http://web.me.com/barrygraham/Site_2/Image.html

barryg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
Hold down Control + Option + Command, then press 8. That'll set ya straight. :D

Seriously though, I hope the transition to your new Mac goes smoother than it has so far.
what is the control option command + 8 about it turns everything strange colors ???????

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
what is the control option command + 8 about it turns everything strange colors ???????

it inverts the colours on your screen. you do the key combo again and it goes back. I find it handy when some websites use white text on a black background.

unfortunately I can't help with your other problem. :eek:

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
can you post one of the offending images here as it is before you put it in iphoto? I'm betting somehow you've converted them to CMYK or LAB.

Sometimes OS X freaks out about windows CMYK jpgs. I don't know how you would have gotten them that way to begin with, but that's irrelevant now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.