Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
California
I know we are all going to be shooting the fireworks on the 4th so i decided to make a thread to ask questions and give advice to on the specific topic.

Tip link I found on Digg

I am in San Diego and if anyone can reccomend a location that would be great :)

Thanks a lot.

scu

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
Great article. I was thinking about this very issue today.

I will be in Olympia, WA and if I make it in time from Olympic National Park, I hope to take some fireworks shot. If they are descent I will trip to post a couple here.:)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Shooting here in San Diego can be tricky. First off you have lots of shows to choose from - there's at least 5 up and down the coast from Coronado up through Del Mar.

Secondly, I've found the marine layer and/or still air can make it really hard to get decent shots. When there's no wind the smoke just kind of sits there and the 'works are sort of obscured.

My suggestion is to try to get up high (Mt. Soledad maybe) with a decent zoom or get along the water on the Shelter Island and get some nice reflections of downtown (they're shooting from Petco Park, I think).

Have fun! :)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Thanks for the link.

I am working that day. I don't get off till 6PM. So it is tough doing the "main event" on the Mall here in DC. I might try to see if I can brave the crowds in Fairfax City.

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
California
I think i have decided to go to shelter island in san diego. has anyone have any opinions on that?

Thanks a lot. I just dont want to be in the wron place...

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
That shot looks like it was taken in Point Loma, up near Cabrillo and Fort Rosecrans. You'll definitely have a good view of the whole city from there, unless we get a freak marine layer.

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
jared_kipe said:
'05 I was shooting f5.6 and .8 seconds. So if we said it was 1 second, then at f11 it would be less than 4 seconds.

http://www.sailbyair.com/photos/fireworks/index.html

Depending on how dark it actually is where you are shooting from, if you have city lights below or something then the time will be less, but in almost total darkness it should be around 7-8 seconds. No need to be technical about it, the point I am trying to make is that if he shoots a lower f-stop then the shutter stays open longer and he will catch the 'trails' from the fireworks and wont miss any.

mromero

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2005
Los Angeles
1.Use a Tripod
2.Use a Remote Switch (If you can)
3.Shoot in Manual Focus
4.Set the ISO to either 100 or 200
5.Set the Aperture to something between F/7.1 and F/11

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
mromero said:
1.Use a Tripod
3.Shoot in Manual Focus

best advice yet, lol

any advice on setting focus when it's so darn dark out?

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I live too far out to see any large shows, so I'm gonna be running my own fireworks. :p No time for a camera. :(

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
California
mromero said:
1.Use a Tripod
3.Shoot in Manual Focus

Sorry to be such a noob. The Majority of the time when i shoot is at night, so i consider myself experienced.

all i use is the programmed night shot on my d50.

what am i missing out on?

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
Not sure if Im allowed to post pics here since I haven't really posted here, but here is one of my results, plus two more linked...

002.jpg

http://www.destroybmx.com/dustin/001.jpg

http://www.destroybmx.com/dustin/003.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.