Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marissak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2019
Burlington, ON
We got this 2012 13" MBP that had a tired battery (unsurprisingly) so we replaced it exactly a year ago with a battery from amazon. Been working fine. The laptop was closed with charger plugged in for a couple of weeks. My business partner wanted to use it and when he opens it, he saw the touch pad shattered. He came showing it to me and I was convinced he dropped it or closed something on it. But then when I started looking it, I realized it was protruding.... Like crushed from underneath. How's that even possible??? Well....
tempImagei1J38v.jpg

As it turns out, the battery swell up cracked it from underneath.
tempImageUNucaS.jpg

Suppose I'm glad it didn't go up in flames ?.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I've had my share of aftermarket cables melt and fall apart as well as batteries go up in poofs of fruity smelling smoke. A coworker of mine had an external battery go up in flames while it was in their shirt pocket (they were ok). It doesn't pay to cheap out on batteries, imo.

Reactions: marissak

clueless88

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2020
I have been dragging my feet but had been intending to replace batteries in a mid 2012 MBP as well. I wonder if the problem occurred because of the power adapter being attached to the closed laptop for an extended period of time? Did the bottom of the MBP feel warm when your partner picked it up? Was the bottom cover of the MBP deformed at all?

I am less eager to replace the battery now.

Reactions: calliex

marissak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2019
Burlington, ON
I have been dragging my feet but had been intending to replace batteries in a mid 2012 MBP as well. I wonder if the problem occurred because of the power adapter being attached to the closed laptop for an extended period of time?

I am less eager to replace the battery now.
Doubtful....A power supply is just a power supply, the motherboard looks after charging it. It's just a cheap lithium battery and it happens. Get a good one either from apple or from OWC...

Noorar89

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2021
I've had luck with aftermarket batteries on my MacBooks, quality is variable and it ca be difficult to judge.. But with an old laptop getting a replacement apple does not make much sense and may not be an option.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
yup!
apple now has a warning to service your battery when non-apple product is in your apple product.
-kinda savvy and smart!

im worried that my fake amazon power adaptor will harm my 2010 MacBook air and 2010 MacBook battery soon.

Since this is 2020ish, i will just let that happen
-then tarnish Apple here and on the websites chat platforms
without receiving an ounce of sympathy from anyone!

calliex

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
Yeah I desperately would like to replace the battery in my in my mid 2012 15 MBP. I have seen many poor battery replacement reviews on this forum. I just use it plugged in. Awaiting the new MBP Mx machines.

Noorar89

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2021
Yeah I desperately would like to replace the battery in my in my mid 2012 15 MBP. I have seen many poor battery replacement reviews on this forum. I just use it plugged in. Awaiting the new MBP Mx machines.
I had mine replaced for 80$ with installation in Dubai. Does not last like original, lasts around 5.5 hours, but much better then the laptop shutting off the moment I disconnect the chord ! So far nothing has gone wrong otherwise, in my case they did offer a 6 month warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.