Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zchrykng

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2017
Like the title says, received a brand new Mac Mini a couple of days ago and it is already dead. I can't get it to boot into any mode at all. Scheduled a trip to the Apple Store for the weekend. If they can't get it working there, I will probably just return it rather than shipping it off for repairs while the return window ticks closed.

I can't say that this is making me feel good about my decision to hold my nose and stick with macOS despite Apple's hardware decisions. :/

zchrykng

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2017
Yeah, I mainly scheduled the appointment to see if they could get it to boot to recovery or test software.

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Yeah, I mainly scheduled the appointment to see if they could get it to boot to recovery or test software.

Yeah at least if they can boot it for you it gives you a chance to wipe the storage before returning...

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
I wouldn't let a single failure define the quality of the Mini. Failures / problems are to be expected, that's why things have warranties. You got a bad one, return it for another and be done with it.

Joestanxx

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2018
Like the title says, received a brand new Mac Mini a couple of days ago and it is already dead. I can't get it to boot into any mode at all. Scheduled a trip to the Apple Store for the weekend. If they can't get it working there, I will probably just return it rather than shipping it off for repairs while the return window ticks closed.

I can't say that this is making me feel good about my decision to hold my nose and stick with macOS despite Apple's hardware decisions. :/
Was it an i7? I had 2 both refused to boot after 1 day of use.

zchrykng

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2017
Was it an i7? I had 2 both refused to boot after 1 day of use.

It was an i7.

The strangest thing is that I took it into the Apple store and it booted fine. Brought it home and it refused to boot again. Got it to start into target disk mode and imaged and wiped it though. Shipping it back today.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.