Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mckvakk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Oslo, Norway
I want a new lens for my 400D, until now i've used the 50mm 1.8 for everything, but i want something that doesn't zoom that much without me doing it manually (if you get what i mean).

I mostly take nature and city pictures, but also the occasional parades, events, portraits and formal party pictures.

So what i want is maybe a wide angle lens or a zoom lens. plus, i don't want to pay much more than $250 since i have to pay 25% tax when i import it here.

Any suggestions?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
but i want something that doesn't zoom that much without me doing it manually (if you get what i mean).

So what i want is maybe a wide angle lens or a zoom lens.

I think most of us are confused. :confused:

Prime lenses are fixed focal lengths, like your fixed 50mm. Zoom lenses have a range of focal lengths, for example: 18-55mm. You manually adjust the ring to go from wide angle (18mm) all the way to 55mm.

For wide shots, and for the subjects you mentioned, a wide-angle zoom lens probably makes a lot of sense.

You can find the *new* kit lens for the XSi (18-55mm IS) for pretty cheap on eBay. It has received great reviews for a kit lens, and it is quite inexpensive. Wide angle shots are often in the daylight, and therefore do not need a wide aperture (f/2.8 etc.) as frequently.

Here is one on eBay for $150

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I agree with Grimace, I'm a bit confused with your post.

But in any case, $250 is not a lot to spend on a lens, so your options are already thin. The two lenses I would suggest would be the the Canon EF-S 18-55, Canon EF-S 18-55 IS or the Canon EF 28-135 IS (although you will find that a bit tough to find around $250.

With any SLR lens, you are going to have to zoom manually. Maybe in the future, camera companies will make lenses that zoom automatically for you.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
I would try find some nice used prime lenses at your local camera shop. A 100mm 2.8 seems right down your alley, and a 28mm 2.8 will give you a nice wide angle for your outdoor shots.

mckvakk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Oslo, Norway
What i mean is that i often get to close to my objects with the 50mm even though i'm not standing close, if that clear things up. But i could use a manual zoom sometimes, but also a wide angle, maybe not at the same time.

I already have the old kit lens, although almost never used. What's the difference between this and the new one? Just the stabilizer?

I've looked at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=12119&is=USA and http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/206434-USA/Canon_6469A005_Zoom_Wide_Angle_Telephoto_EF.html

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
What i mean is that i often get to close to my objects with the 50mm even though i'm not standing close, if that clear things up. But i could use a manual zoom sometimes, but also a wide angle, maybe not at the same time.

I already have the old kit lens, although almost never used. What's the difference between this and the new one? Just the stabilizer?

I've looked at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=12119&is=USA and http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/206434-USA/Canon_6469A005_Zoom_Wide_Angle_Telephoto_EF.html

No, the new kit lens is quite a bit sharper as well as having IS.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.

You seek a wide-angle zoom lens. It seems like you imply that a "wide-angle" lens is a fixed width. They come in a fixed (prime) variety and a zoom variety.

If your kit lens which you currently have is the "type" of lens that you are looking for, the "new" 18-55mm kit lens is supposed to be a cut above.

JBmac

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
Eastern, PA
If you like the 50 mm lens still, you could try a different approach, like a Lensbaby 2.0 selective focus lens, with optional macro lenses, and wide angle lens. The price is around your $250 price limit. Google lensbaby for the web site and more information.

ButtUglyJeff

macrumors 6502a
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.