Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
M2 was recently released and I was considering upgrading my 1 Terabyte 2020 iPad Pro 12.9 cellular model but the resell market was somewhat disappointing for commanding a decent price. The back story on how I got this particular iPad Pro configuration was a college buddy of mine informed me that a student was returning home overseas due to a family emergency and needed money asap. I offered him $950, back in 2020 for a month old spec‘d out 12.9 iPad Pro that was going for over $1700 after taxes. 11 months left on factory warranty. I was over the moon. Fast forward to 2 dayes ago. I was seriously contemplating M2 iPad Pro 2T because I want to cancel my iCloud storage subscription as over time my monthly bill would pay for the iPad. However, $2400 US is still a hard pill to swallow for an iPad despite me using as my MAIN productivity device. So, I opted to look for the M1 variant. I searched the used market. I was not satisfied with the condition or asking price for these offerings. But I kept searching and came upon a seller/retailer who listed a M1 12.9 iPad Pro 2 terabyte cellular model for $1100 brand new. The tech Gods placed their physical location 20 minutes from where I lived and I was able to visit and inspect. The store was a hole in the wall location but filled with all manner of gadgets. My spidey sense was tingling so I asked to open and retrieve the IMEI number and serial so I can check it against being blacklisted. To my joy, everything was on the up and up and I snatched it up. Activated it on the spot and have a full year standard warranty as well as 2 offerings for free Apple TV+ and Apple Arcade! Im assuming this to be a great deal. Correct me if you disagree. I would love to hear other stories of snagging a great/awesome deal.

lol

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
A mistake here would be cancelling your iCloud subscription just because you have tons of local storage, unless you can easily offload files to somewhere else.
But still, that’s a heck of a deal and I consider you got lucky as well. It’s insane.
For me to upgrade I would need to fork out upwards of $3000 aud for a 2TB model. More if I want the larger 12.9“ one.

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
I just picked up a 512 M1 but have already been thinking maybe I should have gone with the terabyte. Like you, it’s my main machine. However, I keep the iCloud storage because of family members shared accounts. I’m curious though, where/how do you check it being blacklisted? Congrats on a killer deal.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
I just picked up a 512 M1 but have already been thinking maybe I should have gone with the terabyte. Like you, it’s my main machine. However, I keep the iCloud storage because of family members shared accounts. I’m curious though, where/how do you check it being blacklisted? Congrats on a killer deal.
There are several sites. Swappa has a site for an imei check, some phone carriers provide free imei checks on their sites like my carrier. I suggest using several sites to be thorough.

Reactions: BB1970

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I keep my iCloud subscription for the family - 2 TB plan. We tend to get Apple devices with low storage (except for my iMac which I have 1 TB internal and 2 TB external). Most of our other devices are 128 GB to 512 GB.

Still, for that price, I would have bought the 2 TB machine too. ;)

oh my gosh a terrabyte ipad? i didn’t think they made them that big. Congratulations on your new device.
No a TWO Terabyte iPad. And to think, my first desktop hard drive was 25 MB (and that wasn't even my first desktop).

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
My iPad is full of internet video I purchased. Easy to collect and fill.
Just FYI, in case you might care: It should be noted that many if not most of the streaming platforms offer better quality video when streamed than when downloaded. Mind you on an iPad it’s often difficult to tell the difference.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
A mistake here would be cancelling your iCloud subscription just because you have tons of local storage, unless you can easily offload files to somewhere else.
But still, that’s a heck of a deal and I consider you got lucky as well. It’s insane.
For me to upgrade I would need to fork out upwards of $3000 aud for a 2TB model. More if I want the larger 12.9“ one.
I agree
My 4tb hard drive died this month , and It seems it’s not possible to extract any data out of it .
It’s not super important stuff , but still, I spent a lot of time building my collection . All that time went into ashes and smoke in a matter of seconds , when the HDD got dropped on the floor

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
My spidey sense was tingling so I asked to open and retrieve the IMEI number and serial so I can check it against being blacklisted. To my joy, everything was on the up and up and I snatched it up. Activated it on the spot and have a full year standard warranty as well as 2 offerings for free Apple TV+ and Apple Arcade! Im assuming this to be a great deal. Correct me if you disagree. I would love to hear other stories of snagging a great/awesome deal.
I once bought a sealed in the box brand-new iPad Air, registered it with my AppleID and got mail from the lawyer of the rightful owner one year later. Checking the serial number against a mostly incomplete database of stolen goods is not enough. You need to see a sales receipt and call the original seller's hotline and ask if this order number, serial number, sales date, customer name and address add up to a legitimate purchase in their computer system. Don't try to prove it was not stolen, try to prove it was legitimately purchased by this one person. Then make them sign a sales contract to you.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
I once bought a sealed in the box brand-new iPad Air, registered it with my AppleID and got mail from the lawyer of the rightful owner one year later. Checking the serial number against a mostly incomplete database of stolen goods is not enough. You need to see a sales receipt and call the original seller's hotline and ask if this order number, serial number, sales date, customer name and address add up to a legitimate purchase in their computer system. Don't try to prove it was not stolen, try to prove it was legitimately purchased by this one person. Then make them sign a sales contract to you.
Your case is unique to say the least. I purchased this from a brick and mortar location. Have a receipt, and they’re also an online vendor with 5k plus reviews with a standing 5 star rating. I also gave them a 5 star rating for the incredible deal I received. Also this is a cellular model. Easier to flag or blacklist than Wi-Fi only models. It is analogous to purchasing an iPhone vs an iPod. One is more likely to never turn up again while the other, if attempting to get service, can be tracked or at the least blacklisted. I appreciate the advice though, but feel confident in my purchase. I will keep you posted if one year from now I receive the dreaded snail mail you speak of!

Last edited:

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
Just FYI, in case you might care: It should be noted that many if not most of the streaming platforms offer better quality video when streamed than when downloaded. Mind you on an iPad it’s often difficult to tell the difference.
Agreed. For me I keep a lot of masterclass videos to watch on the go as well as free online university courses. iTunesU? Whatever happened to iTunes university?

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
I agree
My 4tb hard drive died this month , and It seems it’s not possible to extract any data out of it .
It’s not super important stuff , but still, I spent a lot of time building my collection . All that time went into ashes and smoke in a matter of seconds , when the HDD got dropped on the floor
Yea HDD are relics for sure. SSD is the way to go. Moving parts will betray you when jolted or dropped, especially while in operation.

Mcuserr

Suspended
Nov 9, 2022
The tech gods are always in your favour if you have cash and are prepared to lowball people, nothing new.
Just got a M2 MBA brand new for $829AUD below retail price, comes with a keyboard too lol.

Reactions: blkjedi954

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
The tech gods are always in your favour if you have cash and are prepared to lowball people, nothing new.
Just got a M2 MBA brand new for $829AUD below retail price, comes with a keyboard too lol.
Congrats! Sometimes people lowball themselves for a quick sale because their situation required money yesterday. I’m happy to oblige in those instances too. C’est la vie!

Mcuserr

Suspended
Nov 9, 2022
Congrats! Sometimes people lowball themselves for a quick sale because their situation required money yesterday. I’m happy to oblige in those instances too. C’est la vie!
That's usually the case, this one was the opposite she had too much money and just wanted it gone lol.

Reactions: blkjedi954
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.