Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mag2001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
San Antonio, TX
i just bought a 40d on craigslist that came with the Canon 40d, 18-55mm IS lens,Grip, 75-300mm IIII lens and 2 batteries for $940. Did i get a good deal? Also he said it has around 7k clicks. How many clicks is to much? Is there anything else to check for?

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
first off, you should be asking this before buying it...

as far as price goes, i think it's ok...not sure how much everything is, though. 7000 actuations is relatively low. the shutter i think is rated for 100000.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
I wouldn't say that it was a good deal, and the two lenses you got with it aren't anything to write home about, but it's a good camera.

Edit: I missed the part about the grip, then yeah it's a fairly good price.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Given the amount of equipment, and assuming the grip & batteries are Canon you would appear to have a good deal. As to the lenses, you can always sell those when trading up to better ones later on. The pro is you have multiple lenses right now that you can use/try out.

I have around 3400 actuations on my 40D since late March 08, alot of those were when in Seattle in September.

Did you ask why they were selling? Upgrade to a 5D Mark II maybe? Only the EF lenses could carry over on that upgrade.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
It's unlikely that someone that had those lenses will be going to a 5D II unless maybe they kept their good ones and sold off the ones they bought with the camera. I have ~30000 shots on my 20D with no problems yet. There are reports of needing shutter replacement, but you won't have to worry about that for quite a while.

mag2001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
San Antonio, TX
He was selling because he already had a d80 and d300 but need to sell the d80 and 40d because he needed the money for a down payment on a house. I think his wife mad him do it. And yes 2 canon batteries and canon grip with the insert for use of AA batteries. I bought this cause my father in-law is buying my d40x

Given the amount of equipment, and assuming the grip & batteries are Canon you would appear to have a good deal. As to the lenses, you can always sell those when trading up to better ones later on. The pro is you have multiple lenses right now that you can use/try out.

I have around 3400 actuations on my 40D since late March 08, alot of those were when in Seattle in September.

Did you ask why they were selling? Upgrade to a 5D Mark II maybe? Only the EF lenses could carry over on that upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.