Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CP1091

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
I finally took the plunge into the more advanced side of photography, and bought myself a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi, that came with an EF 50mm 1:1.8 II. Now as this lens has helped me get into the swing of things with a DSLR, I am looking for a lens that would suit me better for sporting events, or possibly more of a zoom lens. Now I am a student, so of course the budget it tight, that is why I am looking for some guidance on what I could purchase that is not the best out there, but quality for the value.

Thanks!

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I finally took the plunge into the more advanced side of photography, and bought myself a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi, that came with an EF 50mm 1:1.8 II. Now as this lens has helped me get into the swing of things with a DSLR, I am looking for a lens that would suit me better for sporting events, or possibly more of a zoom lens. Now I am a student, so of course the budget it tight, that is why I am looking for some guidance on what I could purchase that is not the best out there, but quality for the value.

Thanks!

70-200f/4L is the fastest zoom on a budget (although we don't know your budget) that I can think of. Good for daylight sports.

TatsuTerror

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2008
I've got a Tamron 28-300mm lens, it costs about $400. The quality doesn't match that of the more expensive Canon lenses, but for the price it is really great. It's also very compact when at the lowest focal length. It is a wonderful all-purpose lens, especially good for sports because of the telephoto end.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I've got a Tamron 28-300mm lens, it costs about $400. The quality doesn't match that of the more expensive Canon lenses, but for the price it is really great. It's also very compact when at the lowest focal length. It is a wonderful all-purpose lens, especially good for sports because of the telephoto end.

I've used that lens before and I have to disagree. Its going to be completely useless for sports because it gets so slow at the 300mm range that you won't get any usable shots.

CP1091

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
70-200f/4L is the fastest zoom on a budget (although we don't know your budget) that I can think of. Good for daylight sports.

That looks like a great lens, but it is also $800. A little out of my price range.. Are there any other lenses that are a bit cheaper?

Cave Man

macrumors 604
I am looking for a lens that would suit me better for sporting events, or possibly more of a zoom lens. Now I am a student, so of course the budget it tight, that is why I am looking for some guidance on what I could purchase that is not the best out there, but quality for the value.

You need to specify a budget and what sports you're interested in. Also, will it be outdoor or indoor?

CP1091

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
You need to specify a budget and what sports you're interested in. Also, will it be outdoor or indoor?

I am hoping to spend less than 500 per lens, the lower the better at the moment though. I will be shooting a little indoor, but also a little outdoor, I would say mainly outdoor. Thanks.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
I am hoping to spend less than 500 per lens, the lower the better at the moment though. I will be shooting a little indoor, but also a little outdoor, I would say mainly outdoor. Thanks.

Probably the 70-300 USM IS. Won't do much for indoor sports, but the USM will probably be a necessity (unless you're shooting 5 year olds playing soccer or some such). The 70-200 f/4L should only be around $600 or so (non-IS version).

CP1091

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
The 70-200F/4L is not $800 anywhere. It retails around $600 and can be found used for as little as $400-$450.

Sorry, I just put it into google, and saw those dumb price things at the top. :eek: Anyways, thanks for the help so far!

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Sorry, I just put it into google, and saw those dumb price things at the top. :eek: Anyways, thanks for the help so far!

Ah true. I just tried myself and you're right, top was $800. Lame. Anyways, that is a GREAT option and I would seriously consider it if you have any aspirations to photograph sports. You can't find a faster, cheaper lens out there and its such a nice off-white :)

CP1091

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Ah true. I just tried myself and you're right, top was $800. Lame. Anyways, that is a GREAT option and I would seriously consider it if you have any aspirations to photograph sports. You can't find a faster, cheaper lens out there and its such a nice off-white :)

Haha, I will put that into consideration. You said you found it for around 400-450 used, where could I find those prices? Ebay? Or is there an online store to look at?

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.