Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gullaa

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
Hey guys, so first off i just bought my first d-slr camera, and i am loving it. the camera came with a 18-55 mm lens it is good for snapping just everyday stuff, but i am looking to buy a new lense, for sceneries and such, and i also want some good zoom. would you guys recommend the Canon EF 28-135mm IS lens, if not what lense should i get?

here are some pictures i have snapped over the last couple days..these are all with the kit lense, tell me what you guys think, please be blunt..for learning purposes

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27570221@N04/

magiic

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
San Jose
I have the 28-135 IS USM Canon lens and love it. I am using it with an XTi and would definately reccomend it. One thing you will notice though is 28mm is not that wide and can be a bit of a pain when trying to take pictures where you need to get a lot of stuff in the frame while still being relatively close. Still a great lens that I highly reccomend.

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Try the EF-S 55-250 IS lense. You can get it at Circuit City. Its pretty cheap, and pretty decent.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=492427&55+250

i believe there are more on the site. I could not find an archive section, but I am sure there are plenty taken with it.

I own this lens, its a decent lens for its price. its not a full sensor lens, so if your going to migrate to a full sensor DSLR, your going to be selling this lens with your XTI.

The link above, check it out, along with the archive sections (just do a search for the word archive, and you will have 2 pages of shots with specific lens)

If this is your first camera where you buy lenses, and your not sure what focal length your going to want, try renting some lenses. It is ALOT cheaper than buying them and then reselling them because they are not in the focal length you thought you wanted.

I am by no means an expert, and consider myself a low level amateur, but I have learned a few things in the last few months. One of them is the lens does not make the picture, the person shooting does. Another is, do not go out and buy lenses on a whim, it costs a lot of money doing that.

IS is not "the answer" for a moving target. IS is for *your* movements, not the target's. That seems to be a very common misconception. IS is not a replacement for a low F-stop, though it can help a higher F-stop lens in certain situations.

I personally would rent the lens you think you want, and take a few hundred pictures with it. See if its right for you. How are the colors, sharpness, etc?
If so, then you know what you need to save up for. We can help, as in tell you what lenses we have, or what we like, but in the end, its your decision.

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I've got the 18-55mm IS with my XTi, and it works quite nicely. 18mm is quite wide, but necessary with the 1.6x crop factor of the APS-C image sensor. Hopefully the review will speak for itself.
Review
It is not an L-Series lens, but for the price, you can't beat it.

Canon EF-S 18-55 mm IS and 55-250 mm IS

ahh, you've got the crappy 18-55 Kit lens. While, the IS version believe it or not, offers better image quality, as it is made of better glass, and is of higher quality manufactured. My recommendation: ditch the kit lens immediatly, sell it on craigslist, or ebay, it is a low build quality lens, which is not only boring to use, but the glass produces chromatically incorrect images. Just my $0.02

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
Yeah, get a wide angle lens - should be 10 mm for a crop sensor- which is what I'm assuming your camera has. Wide angles are so much fun - they work great for both urban and rural landscapes.

gullaa

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
that you guys so much for the feedback. I will defiantly look into the EF-S 55-250 IS and also the 28-135 mm is lenses. and i will defiantly sell the 18-55 mm lense for the IS one

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
that you guys so much for the feedback. I will defiantly look into the EF-S 55-250 IS and also the 28-135 mm is lenses. and i will defiantly sell the 18-55 mm lense for the IS one

The EF-S 55-250 IS lens does cover a nice range of focal lengths and the price is right. However, there are some issues with it (might not be significant for some).

1. It's an EF-S lens, so it won't work with full-frame dSLRs. Probably not an issue for most as full-frame dSLRs are high end.

2. No Mode 2 IS so panning shots might not be as easy. Not an issue if you don't plan on panning.

3. Plastic mount is not as durable as a metal mount, but if you're careful, it's probably good enough. The 18-55 IS has a similar plastic mount and I find it sufficient. One plus is that the plastic mount keeps the weight of the lens down.

Personally, when I get around to buying a long zoom lens, I think I'm going with the 70-300/f4-5.6 IS lens instead. Wish I could afford the f4 or f2.8 L lenses, but this is just a hobby for me.

ft

ButtUglyJeff

macrumors 6502a

If you are selling the kit lense, you might also want to consider the Tamron or Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 instead. I use the Tamron on my XTi, and have never gone back to the kit. A more wide open means faster shutter speeds and less blur. But I have heard the kit on the XSi is a significant improvement too, and thats the IS version.

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
IMG_0178 is proof enough that the kit is a poor lens, look at the distortion in the trees. FYI you may want to go through the settings of your camera, as you have not set your date.

Feel free to peruse this site, it has some interesting tips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.