Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Like the title states, just ordered the new 55-200 VR from Adorama...hope it lives up the the first-look billing that it's been getting across the web! Brief snippets from Hogan and review from Rockwell rate it very favorably...quite a lens, getting VR, good range and all for $254 shipped!

Anyone have/played with one yet?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Once you get it, please let us know your first impressions! It sounds like a nice lens for the price (and a perfect compliment to most kit lenses).

I'm really hoping Nikon will be releasing more AF-S + VR lenses this year. I'd particularly like to see the 80-400 get updated to AF-S - I'd have to scrimp and save for quite a while to afford it though. :D

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I'm really hoping Nikon will be releasing more AF-S + VR lenses this year. I'd particularly like to see the 80-400 get updated to AF-S - I'd have to scrimp and save for quite a while to afford it though. :D

It looks like Sigma is now selling the HSM version of the 50-500 in a Nikon mount. My (Non-HSM) Bigma is sharper at 500mm than my 80-400 is at 400mm.

tibbon

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2006
At first i wasn't sure what they point of this lens was over the 18-200, but I guess the price is pretty critcally different there, so it seems to be a great deal if you already have a shorter lens and dont' mind changing.

I have the 50mm 1.8 Nikon, and the 18-200 for my D200. I'm thinking that I could really use something that goes to 400mm, and something in the 10mm range too. Then, i'd be pretty much all set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.