Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbysibrahim

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
When the Apple TV Remote App or Apple TV Control Center control is in the foreground the volume rocker buttons actually control your HDMI-CEC connected device's volume (sound bar, TV etc.). Here's what it looks like on iOS 11 beta's Control Center Apple TV control on my ATV4 with tvOS 11 beta.

Now I never have to get up and find the sound bar remote or Siri remote to make adjust the master volume on my system!

Looking ahead, I'd love to see this implemented in HomeKit with automations that could turn on Apple Music at a certain volume based on existing HomeKit triggers.

*Edited wording reflect that I'm not sure if this is a new feature in Apple TV Remote app, tvOS 11 beta or has been around in previous tvOSes.

Last edited:
Reactions: azing

robbysibrahim

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Does HDMI-CEC volume control work using the Siri remote first of all? Because if not, then the problem is with your home theater setup and not iOS; another can of worms.

Here's what this look like in action though.

alecc131

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2013
HDMI-CEC works. Have three Apple TV 4s and three TVs working with HDMI-CEC. However, volume control only works with Siri remote.

robbysibrahim

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Ah that’s it. It needs to be “Auto via HDMI”.

I’ll defer to someone with more experience though for how to wire up your rig for that. It has to do with connecting up to the correct HDMI port on your TV and then from TV to sound bar or receiver. All HDMI-CEC compatible devices of course.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
HDMI-CEC works. Have three Apple TV 4s and three TVs working with HDMI-CEC. However, volume control only works with Siri remote.

Same here. Have latest iOS 11 on my iPad Pro and volume buttons do not control volume. My atv remote always did (hdmi-cec)

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Surely this is a feature of the Apple TV not the remote app. The remote is only sending a signal over WiFi to the Apple TV. Only the Apple TV is connected by HDMI to the TV so only the Apple TV can change the TV volume with CEC-HDMI

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
Looking ahead, I'd love to see this implemented in HomeKit with automations that could turn on Apple Music at a certain volume based on existing HomeKit triggers.
Yeah, this is old news. But it would be awesome to be able to control volume, and other HDMI-CEC features (including proprietary extensions) via HomeKit!

Lammers

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
I just tried this and it works fine for me. Opened the ATV option in the iOS Control Center (which you have to explicitly add in Settings beforehand), and the physical volume buttons on my iPhone are controlling the volume on my AV receiver. Neat! I didn't know this was an option before.

Of course, you have to already have your ATV setup for HDMI-CEC for volume.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.