Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Hey fellow Mac photographers :D I finally got my dream camera! I have been experimenting with a lot of settings in the camera, I came to a bit of a problem :eek: How do I get the pictures onto my MBP and what do I do with them? After a lot of advice I have decided to shoot in RAW (unless, of course, I need to shoot a couple hundred pictures in JPEG to fill my card). The software I have is iPhoto (duh :rolleyes:), Aperture, Photoshop, Lightroom and the things that came on the Canon CD. (for some reason I prefer not to use iPhoto (at least not for my RAW pics, but maybe JPEG will be OK)) So what exactly do I do?

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Great. But I didn't start this thread to talk about my gear list.

True.

Hey fellow Mac photographers :D I finally got my dream camera! I have been experimenting with a lot of settings in the camera, I came to a bit of a problem :eek: How do I get the pictures onto my MBP and what do I do with them? After a lot of advice I have decided to shoot in RAW (unless, of course, I need to shoot a couple hundred pictures in JPEG to fill my card). The software I have is iPhoto (duh :rolleyes:), Aperture, Photoshop, Lightroom and the things that came on the Canon CD. (for some reason I prefer not to use iPhoto (at least not for my RAW pics, but maybe JPEG will be OK)) So what exactly do I do?

Plug the camera in and Aperture will activate if you set it as your preference, photoshop won't react. iPhoto might want your attention if you didn't set your preferences up.

But thinking about it, its clear you have never done this before (because it is so basic a procedure) so why have you spent the money on those software programs if you don't know how to transfer images to your computer? Or have you actually bought the software in the first place? ;)

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Eh. I think it's kind of cute. Any real gearhead ought to be able to figure that either he's unclear or about what "L" means or else he's kidding around.

You know, my comment was a joke also to counter his joke, hence the reason why I said 'gear heads' and not photographers. :)

I'm beginning to think Tuesdays are not a good day on MR. :D

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
True.

Plug the camera in and Aperture will activate if you set it as your preference, photoshop won't react. iPhoto might want your attention if you didn't set your preferences up.

But thinking about it, its clear you have never done this before (because it is so basic a procedure) so why have you spent the money on those software programs if you don't know how to transfer images to your computer? Or have you actually bought the software in the first place? ;)

I have transfered from my old camera to iPhoto, but that thing didn't shoot RAW, and as far as I'm aware, you somehow have to convert it or something, or?
And you're right, I didn't buy the software. Got it through my dad's company (and they supposedly buy it :rolleyes:).
If I'd have to buy it, I'd still be stuck with my old camera :D

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Eh. I think it's kind of cute. Any real gearhead ought to be able to figure that either he's unclear or about what "L" means or else he's kidding around.

Heh :eek: L stands for Luxury, and these lenses are kind of a luxury for me even if they are the cheapest Canon sells :D

Anyway, back on topic. What do I do? :x

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
It blows my mind somebody can buy a 40D and not already know this stuff.

Aperture will automatically do the conversions for you once you export the images after editing them.

May I seriously suggest you also go buy a photography handbook as well.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Aperture will automatically do the conversions for you once you export the images after editing them.

May I seriously suggest you also go buy a photography handbook as well.

OK I'll try that. Can I then bring it into Photoshop as well? (I'm not really familiar with Aperture yet, but have used Photoshop for a looooong time.)
Already have a couple handbooks...

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
OK I'll try that. Can I then bring it into Photoshop as well? (I'm not really familiar with Aperture yet, but have used Photoshop for a looooong time.)
Already have a couple handbooks...

Buy some more the ones you have are clearly not working properly.

Right clicking on an image will bring you some options, at the top is 'Edit with', you are presented with 2 options, sending it 2 Photoshop or editing it further in Aperture. Once you're done in Photoshop, click to close and save it with the menu that pops up, Aperture will bring it back into your library as a version.

I'm not sure what happens if you click save on the Photoshop menu, I think it creates another copy outside of Aperture.

I might add that the option to edit in Aperture is much better if you're editing as you would in a normal darkroom.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Buy some more the ones you have are clearly not working properly.

Right clicking on an image will bring you some options, at the top is 'Edit with', you are presented with 2 options, sending it 2 Photoshop or editing it further in Aperture. Once you're done in Photoshop, click to close and save it with the menu that pops up, Aperture will bring it back into your library as a version.

I'm not sure what happens if you click save on the Photoshop menu, I think it creates another copy outside of Aperture.

I might add that the option to edit in Aperture is much better if you're editing as you would in a normal darkroom.

Well none of the one I have talk about how to import files into a Mac... mainly about how to use a camera...
And I'll go try that. Thanks.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska

Buy this book and learn how to use your 40D first:
http://astore.amazon.com/liternet/detail/1598635107

Other than that, you can download your photos from the camera to the computer using any of the applications you have. You don't have to install all the Canon software, but "EOS Utility" does an outstanding job downloading photos to your computer. It's fast, gives you the options to select and download photos, download all photos, change the camera's settings and shoot remotely. It also provides you with a large window to see each image being downloaded.

iPhoto is quite slow downloading compared to EOS Utility, PSE6, and Graphic Converter. PSE uses "Bridge" to download photos from your camera, and this application is provided in the PSE6 package. PSE6 does a real nice job with RAW images.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.