Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
So I picked up an FX-01 while in Tokyo last week, and just wanted to say that I really like it. I also have a Konica Minolta Dimage A2, but wanted a pocket-able model that could go around with me. For 35,000 yen I got the camera, a 1GB SD card, and an extra battery. The screen is nice and bright, the zoom range (28-100mm) is good, and I like the ability to take movies in quicktime format. I have been averaging about 100 pictures a day, with no sign of running out of battery. The responsiveness in shutter lag, startup, and zooming is also good.
For those out there who are interested in this camera range, I would definitely recommend the Lumix. Here are a couple of pictures from my last trip.

library170mq9.jpg

library094kx7.jpg

library189fw6.jpg

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I bought one recently too. Gauchogolfer forgot to mention a few key features of this camera that make it very, very nice.

1) Optical Image Stabilization - has come in very handy, I don't think such a small camera would be too useful without it. This is the feature that made me discount the Canon size equivalents.
2) Widescreen movie and still modes - Natively take pics/movies in 16:9 widescreen

The one downside I have is that the lenscap seem to get a bit "sticky" when it's hot & humid out... May have to send it in to be checked out.

B

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Just a question about photography gear in Japan, Gauchogolfer. Are the prices better in Japan than they are elsewhere? I'll be in Japan for 2 weeks in December, and if I could pick up a lens or something while I'm there, it would be fantastic. :)

If it's not cheaper, I'll do what I was planning to do and just wait until I graduate before I buy the Nikkor 105 mm f/2.8 VR. That, or I find it at a good price.

*goes to scour the internet for lens prices.......again*

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Abstract said:
Just a question about photography gear in Japan, Gauchogolfer. Are the prices better in Japan than they are elsewhere? I'll be in Japan for 2 weeks in December, and if I could pick up a lens or something while I'm there, it would be fantastic. :)

If it's not cheaper, I'll do what I was planning to do and just wait until I graduate before I buy the Nikkor 105 mm f/2.8 VR. That, or I find it at a good price.

*goes to scour the internet for lens prices.......again*

I found that the prices were much lower than for me here in France, but comparable to those in the US. I'd say that my camera cost the same in the US (B&H website), keeping in mind that the prices you see in a store in Japan already include the sales tax. I didn't shop for lenses, so I'd say to take a look while in Tokyo and then hop online to compare back in your home country (US?).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.