Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
My only christmas present this year is a nikon D40. My parents are just going to give it to me early because I was there when they ordered it. I was wondering how to clean it out when I need to and how often I need to clean it out. This will be my first slr.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Congrats. I just got the Canon 400D SLR as my Christmas present. Happy shooting!

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
congrats!

You shouldn't have to clean it much at all, as you'll only have one lens that won't come off the body. If you do add more lenses, you will notice dust spots on the images. Then, you can do a bit of dust removal.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
My only christmas present this year is a nikon D40. My parents are just going to give it to me early because I was there when they ordered it. I was wondering how to clean it out when I need to and how often I need to clean it out. This will be my first slr.

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

or

http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=Tutorials2

The only caution I'd use is don't use canned air, use a rocket blower and not canned air if you've got grit on your sensor.

In preparation, only take the lens off with the body facing downwards in clean environments if you can. The less that gets into the body, the less often you'll need to clean.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
But since you got your Christmas present now what will you do on Christmas morning? :(
Anyway, yeah whatever compuwar said about cleaning. And that rocketblower is dirt cheap and works well when you're in a crunch.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
But since you got your Christmas present now what will you do on Christmas morning? :(
Anyway, yeah whatever compuwar said about cleaning. And that rocketblower is dirt cheap and works well when you're in a crunch.

Try a guilt trip so they will get you the 18-200 VR, or at least a polarizing filter.

8-speed 30-year old Oster blender, manual twist-cap openers, two really expensive mis-matched sheets from Macy's bargain bin ($40).

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
My parents got me some other small stuff to. I will get stuff from my brother and from cousins and other people like that as well.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
I'm trying to convince my parents to get me one too, even though they are pretty cheap. Guess I'll have to start shoveling snow this winter ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.