Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Found one on ebay for $179, after I lost an auction for one at $160 (by ONE minute, literally!). The lens is in great condition! No scratches or blemishes of any kind, on the glass or even on the barrel! The only sign of age is some scratches on the lens cap. So, I'm satisfied.
My only real gripe right now is that the auto focus is a little loud, but not near as bad as I anticipated from the reviews. It's more of a whine than anything. Not too bad though.

I love the depth I can get with an aperture this wide, since my previous apertures only went up to 3.5, this is amazing. Hah. Oh, and it's just as razor sharp as everyone says.
Here's some test shots.

50mm1.jpg

50mm2.jpg

This last one is a crop, just to show the sharpness of the lens. It's a hole in my jeans.
50mm3.jpg

fradac

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Those look amazing,

i knew you had amazing control over DOF with this lens, but i didnt expect that much.

take some pictures of flowers so we can see the Bokeh ?

also what camera are you using the lens with?

thanks for showing us the pictures though

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I'm using a 350D with this lens.
I think the shots show the bokeh pretty well.. I'll put up some more later (no flower shots yet; I don't find those very interesting. :p)

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I was actually going to make this thread on Tuesday...but I was too lazy.

I'll pop up some of my shots with my new one (that arrived Tues) later tonight.:)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
This is a great lens. Now I do have the nikon brand one, but seriously (not to turn this into a pissing match) I really think you got yourself a great lens.
I hardly ever have mine off my camera.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
OutThere said:
I was actually going to make this thread on Tuesday...but I was too lazy.

I'll pop up some of my shots with my new one (that arrived Tues) later tonight.:)

Did you manage to find a Mark I or did you get the newer one?

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
seenew said:
Did you manage to find a Mark I or did you get the newer one?

ah.

missed the I part in the title.

I got the mark II. To me, a metal mount and internal focusing is not quite worth the extra $80+ more than the mark II retail that it's going for on eBay.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
OutThere said:
ah.

missed the I part in the title.

I got the mark II. To me, a metal mount and internal focusing is not quite worth the extra $80+ more than the mark II retail that it's going for on eBay.

Yeah, I wasn't going to pay much more than I did. I found it, and figured I'd bid. If it had gone up more, I wouldn't have continued. :)

I'm not discriminating in this thread, though. I want to see your test shots, too. I mean, they're basically the same lens, so I'd like to see what you come up with as well. (it'll probably make me kick myself for spending the extra $$ as you said, haha)

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
I'm not familiar with the Canon lens lineup. What exactly is the 50mm MkI lens? I am looking at B&H and they have an EF 50mm f/1.8 MkII for $80 and the EF50mm f/1.4 USM for $315. What is special about the lens you bought that makes it fall inbetween those two price points?

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Considering I've liked almost every picture you've posted in the forums here, seenew, I'm looking forward to what you can come up with using the new lens.

beavo451 said:
I'm not familiar with the Canon lens lineup. What exactly is the 50mm MkI lens? I am looking at B&H and they have an EF 50mm f/1.8 MkII for $80 and the EF50mm f/1.4 USM for $315. What is special about the lens you bought that makes it fall inbetween those two price points?

I'm going out on a limb, here, but I'd say that his doesn't have USM and isn't an f/1.4 lens, both of which increase the price quite a bit. The MkI is also a metal mount, IIRC, rather than plastic.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
beavo451 said:

It's described above in reply #8. It has some things that were cost- / manufacturing-ease reduced out of the Mk-II. For the most part, the 50 f/1.4 is a better lens all around, although obviously quite a bit more expensive. My impression is that the glass is generally considered to be slightly better - that it performs better at 1.8 or 2.0 for instance than the 50/1.8. But the 50/1.8 is such an inexpensive lens (Mk II) that unless you're going to get the 1.4, you have got to get it! ;) Fast lenses are a thing of beauty. :)

Here are some examples of the 1.4's bokeh...

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

I don't want to post-whore... somewhat bigger and more numerous examples are available in the link in my sig. :eek:

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
gauchogolfer said:
Considering I've liked almost every picture you've posted in the forums here, seenew, I'm looking forward to what you can come up with using the new lens.

I'm going out on a limb, here, but I'd say that his doesn't have USM and isn't an f/1.4 lens, both of which increase the price quite a bit. The MkI is also a metal mount, IIRC, rather than plastic.

The MkI is the older version of the lens you found at B&H. It had higher quality construction materials, like the metal lens mount versus the plastic one on the newer version.

I have the new version, and I love it. I love it so much, I'm thinking about selling it and replacing it with the 50mm 1.4 when I get my 5D.

Congrats seenew, can't wait to see what you come up with.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
beavo451 said:
Good to know even though it is a step back in build quality as times progress.

Times progress...the MKI was released in 1987 and the MKII in 1992, if I recall correctly. :p

Anyway, the shallow DoF on this is really slick, but up around f5-10 it gets really sharp, which is quite nice.

Here I am with 100 new pics sitting on my CF and I can't find my card reader. Doh!

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
Just a few precision...

People talk like the Mk2 isnt that good compared to the Mk1. This is untrue. Both perform about the same which make comparison futile.

Owning a F1.8 lens is a must for any photograph. What ever you take picture of, you should have one in your bad. Its cheap and light and you can put ext tube on it for macro. Basicaly, I recommand to anyone who is buying a new SLR to get one and throw the kit lens away.

As for upgrading to the 1.4, its useless unless you are going to shoot at 1.4. The difference of DoF between 1.4 and 1.8 isnt big enough (for a subject at 2m, its 3mm). You are better off keeping the 1.8 and starting to save for a L lens.

Now the problem... Now that you are used to a good glass, you will never want to own crap again. That means that you will want L lens which are about 3 times more expensive... But they worth it, trust me!

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Mantat said:
People talk like the Mk2 isnt that good compared to the Mk1. This is untrue. Both perform about the same which make comparison futile.

I don't think anyone talked bad about the quality of the images you can get from the MK2, everyone was just talking about the build quality of it. It isn't manufactured as well as the MK1.
And I agree with the rest of your post, and thanks for the advice. :)

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
Mantat said:
Just a few precision...

As for upgrading to the 1.4, its useless unless you are going to shoot at 1.4. The difference of DoF between 1.4 and 1.8 isnt big enough (for a subject at 2m, its 3mm). You are better off keeping the 1.8 and starting to save for a L lens.

There are other factors than just DOF, the 1.4 has some advantages for many that would be worth the extra cost. The 8 blade aperture verse the 5 blade found on the 1.8 is a big deal to some environmental portrait photographers, as well as the full time manual override. Also the 1.4 is said to be as sharp at 2.0 as the 1.8 is at 2.8. And while I probably couldn't tell the difference, the 1.4 is said to have the edge in contrast and color over the 1.8?

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Finally found my card reader :rolleyes:

Here are some test/play shots I just wanted to try out. I want to to do some portraits but I haven't had the time to organize other people...

fallingrain.jpg

raindrops.jpg

hotflower.jpg

A nice n' sharp 100% crop at f/4.5
sharpcrop.jpg

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
OutThere said:
Finally found my card reader :rolleyes:

Here are some test/play shots I just wanted to try out. I want to to do some portraits but I haven't had the time to organize other people...

[pics]

I like the third one a lot. This lens is cool, isn't it?

triotary

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2005
I never like that lens. It doesn't feels good in my hand. I know I know that it is really a value for $$$ and a good picture still comes down to the person who is taking it. But for a little more, I would get a used 50mm f/1.8 MKI but I'm loving my 50mm f/1.4 now :D

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
ahh good deal you chose the mkI metal mount over the plastic mount.

its amazing how they are going up in price now as they are harder and harder to find.

i bought mine 3 years ago for $65 lol. and i sold it for $90 a year ago to buy the 50 1.4

the AF is noisy yeah. but its a wicked sharp lens. a keeper for sure :)

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Great Lens!

I have the newer one of the 50 1.8, picked up for... $65. It was my favorite for months... until 2 weeks ago when I bought my first L in a 135 f2.0L. That lens is AMAZING. But... it's an L, so it's to be expected. The 135mm is obviously tight so it's not the most convenient lens, so the 50 will still pull it's weight when I need it. A lot of the pictures in my 'image' gallery on the site in my link were done with the 50 1.8, it's a great lens. GOOD BUY!!

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
wheezy said:
I have the newer one of the 50 1.8, picked up for... $65. It was my favorite for months... until 2 weeks ago when I bought my first L in a 135 f2.0L. That lens is AMAZING. But... it's an L, so it's to be expected. The 135mm is obviously tight so it's not the most convenient lens, so the 50 will still pull it's weight when I need it. A lot of the pictures in my 'image' gallery on the site in my link were done with the 50 1.8, it's a great lens. GOOD BUY!!

Maybe someone should do a 2 and below thread, the seems to be a lot of interest these days in shallow DOF?

I know this is the 50 1.8 thread, but I picked up the 135 F2L a few months ago and it is flat out my favorite lens, amazing. Works incredibly well with TC's and 500D close up and perfect for outdoor portraits (for me anyway) on the 5D.

Attachments

• S_MG_5283.jpg
    S_MG_5283.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 264
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.