Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Yay, yay,yay, yay!!!!:D
I finally own a DSLR!!! It's soooooooooo cool. I'm currently chargin some Ni-H betteries because I'm saving the included alkalines as backup. Though I haven't turned it on yet, I can tell it's a really sweet camera that will last quite a while. Best of all, it simply feels nice to someone coming from a Nikon film SLR like me. The 18-55mm they had to demo at the store was surprisingly nice. I'm thinking of getting the 50-200mm next year and the 50mm macro in a few years. Anyway, I am super excited to be part of the MR digital photography community and I can't wait to participate in monthly assignments. Anything I should know about digital photography, the K100D, switching from 35mm to digital or the Pentax brand in general before starting to shoot? Thanks a billion,
wmmk

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Yay, yay,yay, yay!!!!:D
I finally own a DSLR!!! It's soooooooooo cool. I'm currently chargin some Ni-H betteries because I'm saving the included alkalines as backup. Though I haven't turned it on yet, I can tell it's a really sweet camera that will last quite a while. Best of all, it simply feels nice to someone coming from a Nikon film SLR like me. The 18-55mm they had to demo at the store was surprisingly nice. I'm thinking of getting the 50-200mm next year and the 50mm macro in a few years. Anyway, I am super excited to be part of the MR digital photography community and I can't wait to participate in monthly assignments. Anything I should know about digital photography, the K100D, switching from 35mm to digital or the Pentax brand in general before starting to shoot? Thanks a billion,
wmmk
You have no idea how insanely jealous I am. The kit lens is great. Can you let me know how the shake reduction is? Obviously you won't be able to run in circles taking pictures. Is there anyway to turn it off and take the same shot a few times just to test it? I haven't really played with that part of them much.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
well, SR is sure nice. i mean, all of my pictures taken with it so far have been really sharp. i haven't figured out how to manually change aperture and shutter on it yet (Pentax DA lenses don't have aperture rings!), but then again, i've barely read the manual, and i've been using this camera for less than 15 minutes. i'll post some pics tommorow afternoon or whenever i get comfortable with this and get a chance to get out and really shoot.

Ok, update: the shutter is adjusted by a little scroll wheel on the back of the body. aperture is adjusted by pressing a little button on the top of the camera and then scrolling that same wheel. how cool!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah, when I started to read that post, I was going to tell you that lens aperture is changed on the camera body nowadays. ;)

Congratulations on the new camera. Very very exciting! The K100D sounds like a fantastic camera, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :)

Post some photos to show off!

balofagus

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Glad you got it! If you need any assistance just give me a holler... I've become quite familiar with mine.

Buschmaster, SR is a lovely little addition and I feel that it has helped considerably with some of my shots that I'm sure would not have turned out otherwise.

PS. You can still use the old K-Mount lenses that have an aperture ring, but first you have to go to Menu>Custom Settings> and set Using Aperture Ring to 2

One thing to note is that it has been found that Pentax seems to both under-expose (not drastically) and have less saturation (again, not drastically) than other brands, instead favouring to leave the photographer with more room to work with

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Yeah, when I started to read that post, I was going to tell you that lens aperture is changed on the camera body nowadays. ;)

Congratulations on the new camera. Very very exciting! The K100D sounds like a fantastic camera, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :)

Post some photos to show off!

well, I suppose I should!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wmmk/sets/72157594383848342/

(as you may guess, the ones of architecture, landscape, and nature are mine, the ones of my Bar Mitzvah are not)

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Glad you got it! If you need any assistance just give me a holler... I've become quite familiar with mine.

Buschmaster, SR is a lovely little addition and I feel that it has helped considerably with some of my shots that I'm sure would not have turned out otherwise.

PS. You can still use the old K-Mount lenses that have an aperture ring, but first you have to go to Menu>Custom Settings> and set Using Aperture Ring to 2

One thing to note is that it has been found that Pentax seems to both under-expose (not drastically) and have less saturation (again, not drastically) than other brands, instead favouring to leave the photographer with more room to work with

Both of my Canon DSLRs (XT & 5D) underexpose one to two thirds of a stop. Very annoying when in tricky metering situations.

Congrats on the camera wmmk, posts some images when you can...

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
Glad you like it so much! I'm waiting on my K10D. Store called today to tell me it's in the warehouse and to ask if I wanted to pick it up at the store or have it shipped. Can't wait to try it!

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Glad you like it so much! I'm waiting on my K10D. Store called today to tell me it's in the warehouse and to ask if I wanted to pick it up at the store or have it shipped. Can't wait to try it!
man, I'd love one of those. In 5-7 years, when the K100D will be outdated, I'll totally go withh the updated K10D/K10D equivalent. tell us how you like it and post some pics!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Haha, never plan that far ahead. This is technology we're talking about. ;)

I could plan for a D80 equivalent in a few years, but by then, there would probably be a D80s or something.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Haha, never plan that far ahead. This is technology we're talking about. ;)

I could plan for a D80 equivalent in a few years, but by then, there would probably be a D80s or something.

yeah, you're probably right. then again, I'm locked into Pentax because of lenses and my next camera will be high end prosumer. anway, what do all of you think of my flickr pics? they've been viewed a lot since I posted that link, so I assume it was by MR people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.