Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Really, just one word to describe this lens: Incredible!

This is the first lens I buy after getting my Nikon D40x almost a year ago, so you could guess I am very happy.:):D

Now I get to know and feel why good lenses cost soo much. I had some good lenses which were from my dad (a 50mm f/1.4 and a 80-200 f/4.5), but both were MF and very old. But this lens is just mind blower!

It focuses extremely fast, the handling is excellent and the picture quality seems to be very good. The build quality is also great. Do consider that I say all this after coming from the kit lens and the old lenses I had, maybe when I get to have a 70-200 I would say this all over again.:p

Just one question: the focus ring never stops. I mean, it never bumps or hits an ending point. It can keep going round and round. Is this normal? I ask because my kit lens and the other lenses I have do hit an end.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Coming from a 70-200 /2.8, yes, it is. It's an effect of the grab-and-focus (you can manually focus while on AF mode).

cutsman

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2006
This is normal. Don't worry so much and enjoy the lens. I was out shooting this past weekend and once I put the 105VR on, it pretty much stayed on the rest of the day. Every time i use it, I'm amazed at the sharpness, contrast and quality of the bokeh... it's an incredible lens!

slick316

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Now....where are the pics ? :)

I would love to see some pics that you have taken with the lens. I also have a D40x and will be getting a macro next, so keep us in touch :)

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Now....where are the pics ? :)

I would love to see some pics that you have taken with the lens. I also have a D40x and will be getting a macro next, so keep us in touch :)

I haven't got much time to use it so far. Only around 50 photos. But here are some that show the amazing bokeh of this lens and the sharpness of it.

The lens is a little heavy for the D40x, but nothing to worry about. It also works great for portraitures, as far as I have seen. Tho you would have to get far from your subject to be able to take a good shot. The photo of the dog was taken from about 4 meters.

It has a very short DOF, so in the few photos at 1:1 I took I found myself adjusting the focus manually. Also, you might have already read about it: VR is useless at 1:1.

Feel free to ask any questions about the lens.:) I'll make sure I post some more photos when I return from a trip I'm making this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to take a lot of photos.:D

slick316

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Oh wow, those pics look fantastic!

Okay, looks like I found my next lens. Those look great, I love them!!

I'll be sure to ask more questions if they come up, but for now, I think I need to find something to sell in order to buy the lens quicker, lol.

Thanks for the quick reply for photos, that was really cool of you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.