Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
...and it's awesome. It's great being able to bounce the flash rather than shoving it straight into people's faces. Definitely worth the money.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
I saw its deadness, and figured a comment couldn't hurt!

I just need to get some extra $$ for this purchase.

If you're short on cash, opt for a used Vivitar 285HV or Nikon SB-24, SB-25, SB-26, or SB-28. They don't have iTTL, but do offer great manual control, which allows for lots of creative flexibility. They are also much cheaper than the newer speedlights.

Make sure to use the flash off-camera and read strobist.com for lighting suggestions.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
I saw its deadness, and figured a comment couldn't hurt!

I just need to get some extra $$ for this purchase.

Well my thanks for resurrecting the thread!

Extra cash is always the issue. I was quite spoiled with my Sony camera in that I wasn't able to buy accessories for it. Now I have my D40x, there's a whole range of lovely toys I want to buy... but can't afford!

If you're short on cash, opt for a used Vivitar 285HV or Nikon SB-24, SB-25, SB-26, or SB-28. They don't have iTTL, but do offer great manual control, which allows for lots of creative flexibility. They are also much cheaper than the newer speedlights.

Make sure to use the flash off-camera and read strobist.com for lighting suggestions.

I have a D40x which has no built-in commander capabilties (unlike the D70, you lucky man Plymouthbreezer). Do you know, off hand, of any good ways to get off camera flash on my D40? There are cables I believe, but I'm not sure where to look...

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
It looks like the d-40x doesnt have a pc-sync port, so you can either go the ebay remote trigger route or get a hotshoe to pc adapter.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts

Yeah. I suppose I was holding out for a flash with iTTL... But some of the older used Sppedlights are less than a tank of gas on Craigslist and such.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.