Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZMAN Z28

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
Minneapolis
I was at the Apple Store and compared the 11" to the 12.9", and my observations are the screen on the 12.9 was significant over the 11. I did not think the 11" was bad at all. I think it looked very good. The 12.9 was that much better. I will use my 12.9 for some video editing from my drone a DJI Mavic 3 in 4K and 5K when DaVinci for iPad comes out. The 12.9 is pretty big and time will tell if I like holding an iPad of this size. I am upgrading from an iPad Air2. For me, this is a great upgrade.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Despite all my complaints about the size of the 12.9, I broke down and bought one from Costco, the M1 iPad Pro w/12.9 screen and 512GB hard drive. It was a one-day-only deal for $949, and I couldn't pass it up. Thought I would bail on it after a week or two, but I'm finding that I can't go back to anything else. That 12.9 screen is the most amazing screen I've ever seen. True blacks. Vivid colors. Razor sharp text. Great size for reading books and doing any kind of creative work. People do look at me when I use it at a coffee shop or someplace like that, but like one poster said on another thread, "who the hell cares what people think?" I used to. I don't anymore. I will say this, it's a bit hard to hold in one hand when reading books or cruising the internet, but I'm getting used to it. Overall though, I love this thing!!

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I was at the Apple Store and compared the 11" to the 12.9", and my observations are the screen on the 12.9 was significant over the 11. I did not think the 11" was bad at all. I think it looked very good. The 12.9 was that much better. I will use my 12.9 for some video editing from my drone a DJI Mavic 3 in 4K and 5K when DaVinci for iPad comes out. The 12.9 is pretty big and time will tell if I like holding an iPad of this size. I am upgrading from an iPad Air2. For me, this is a great upgrade.
I just upgraded to a 12.9 512gb from an Air2 also. I absolutely love it and have adjusted to the size quickly. Now when I mess around with the Air2 it seems tiny and the difference in the display and performance is very satisfying. I was planning on getting the 11Pro but after playing with them side by side I walked away with the 12.9. Congrats on the new iPad!

Kierkegaarden

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2018
Same here — had always used the smaller size until the M1 12.9 — much more useable for me, and I wouldn’t go back to having only the smaller size now. I read on it quite a bit and have actually found that holding in landscape is more comfortable for this. I also think Stage Manager is excellent on the larger screen.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Kierkegaarden

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2018
How are you enjoying DaVinci?

Starscape

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2016
Florida and New York
Now all you need is LumaFusion and DaVinci Resolve. Resolve is available now and I've been testing it quite a bit. Right out of the gate, it's fantastic. By far the most versatile video editor for iPad. LumaFusion has been my favorite for years but Resolve looks like it may take that spot. Basic features in Resolve are free (and you get quite a bit). Resolve Studio is $94 and easily worth it.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The 12.9” iPad is great for viewing and editing photos (Affinity Photo 2 is on sale for $12). The screen really is that good.

Reactions: mr_jomo

Systemlord

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2022
Don’t leet anyone tell you different, size matters and HDR alone is totally worth it!

Reactions: mr_jomo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.