Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
Hey guys, just like the title says, I just purchased a Nikon D3000. Anyone else have this camera? Any suggestions on accessories, or reviews? Let me know, Thanks!

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Why would you want reviews if you just purchased it? My only suggestion is to buy some good glass. A great camera with crappy lenses is tough to work with.

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
welllllllll I purchased it the other day - and it hasn't arrived yet. played with the D60 before and wanted a Nikon!

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I can understand the interest in reading reviews of equipment you've already purchased--I do it all the time. Sometimes I learn something I didn't know, and often it helps me become more familiar with my gear in the early stages. Also, it's fun to see how much I agree or disagree with the reviewer.

There are a number of review websites out there, just google your camera and see what comes up. Here's one to get you started.

Accessories-- I'd suggest getting a couple of nice sized (4gig/8gig) SD cards, maybe a spare battery, a flash (sb-600 is cheap, and decent) and a tripod. You'll also want a nice bag of some kind, but that's a personal preference between holster type, sling-style, backpack or shoulder bag.

Also, maybe you might add an inexpensive fast prime lens (35mm f/1.8) for some low-light shooting. You'll be amazed at the difference between this lens and a kit lens in darker settings or indoors. Just a couple hundred bucks for this, well worth it.

That's about it for now. Enjoy your new camera, and come back and show us some pictures. :)

steavelee2

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2010
i am suggesting you the best accessories for these camera.

ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control (Infrared)
* Key Features
Key Features
Trigger the shutter remotely when using slower shutter speeds to prevent camera movement
Offers immediate release mode and two second delay mode
Range approximately 16 feet in front of camera

2))
DR-6 Rectangular Right Angle Finder

Rondue

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
PA
I would of went with the D5000 personally, the D3000 feels super cheap and the price difference for the improved quality is worth it in my book.

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
I actually just bought this camera this weekend. I got it bundled as a kit w/ lens & 16GB SD card, Tripod and screen protector, filters etc.... Just £375 at my local Curry's.

kyzen

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Colorado
As has been said, pick up a cheap prime. They're a ton of fun to play with. Be sure any lenses to do buy are compatible with the camera though, many of Nikon's lower end cameras require lenses that have the focusing motor inside the lens (on Nikon lenses this is designated as "AF-S" - not "AF"). If you buy an AF lens on a camera that doesn't support it, you'll have to manually focus it.

Also, don't just go lens crazy. When I got my first DSLR I went out and bought a handful of lenses for it immediately. I've since learned that they're total crap, replaced them with nicer lenses, and am still trying to sell a couple of the crappier ones to this day. If/when you're ready for a new lens, determine what your requirements are, then save up and buy a *good* lens. Don't run out and buy a crappy 70-300mm third party lens just because they're cheap.

Sanveann

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
Michigan
I have this camera and love it! I have the kit lens (18-55) and also the 55-200. I'm saving up for the 50mm 1.8 next :)

Is this your first DSLR? If it is, I would consider taking a local photography class. I learned TONS about how to better use my camera even after taking just a $50 four-week session. Also, the book "Understanding Exposure" is HUGELY helpful.

Also, check out http://www.nikoncafe.com -- a lot of really nice, helpful folks there!

XxHOVESKOxX

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
Hey guys, just like the title says, I just purchased a Nikon D3000. Anyone else have this camera? Any suggestions on accessories, or reviews? Let me know, Thanks!

Congratulations on your purchase
I Just bought a D5000 today it's a great camera its also my first DSLR so I was pretty excited when i got it.
You should check out dpreview.com they always have great camera reviews there, Just before my purchase I was debating on getting a Nikon D5000 or The Canon T1i(500D) so I looked up reviews for both cameras on the website and after days of extensive research on both cameras I was leaning more towards the Canon but when I got to the store and I tried both cameras out and I just really liked how the Nikon felt, so ergonomics was a big plus for me.
So definitely check out that website it really helped me out a lot

Here's a direct link for the D300

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
yes, this is my first DSLR although I've used them before - but still have much to learn. I got it today and so far it's money well spent! I will be picking up a few books also

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Also, don't just go lens crazy. When I got my first DSLR I went out and bought a handful of lenses for it immediately. I've since learned that they're total crap, replaced them with nicer lenses, and am still trying to sell a couple of the crappier ones to this day. If/when you're ready for a new lens, determine what your requirements are, then save up and buy a *good* lens. Don't run out and buy a crappy 70-300mm third party lens just because they're cheap.

That is some great advice because that is what a lot of n00bs do...haha that is what I did too. I had like 4 lower end lenses thinking the range is better - that having different types of lenses is better for me. However, I found that mastering one lens seems to be paying off more, rather being inexperienced at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.