Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Biritto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2021
I have a 256/16 gb M1 Air. Using it for both basic stuff and some programming+research - currently in the learning phase so I neither play with huge datasets nor really need too much GPU power. At least for now. Thing is, the Air's small screen is a problem for me especially when working with side by side windows. My last 14'' laptop was somewhat OK in this regard. I have a monitor but due to work reasons I'm generally away from that.

Now, I'm thinking of

1) getting a 2022 12.9'' IPP to change my 2017 IPP (can sell it or pass it to younger ones) and using it as a second screen with Air at work. This can solve my problems somewhat but I'm not sure.

2) Or I have another choice for a little higher cost: Sell the Air, get a base 16'' MBP (though I find 14'' better-looking), keep the 2017 IPP and call it a day.

In first scenario, I get a new IPP with the power of handling the foreseeable future (tablet-wise) and save myself from the trouble of changing the main work device. Besides, I would be paying a bit less in the end. Second scenario demands a bit more money+effort and results in a heavier device to carry around. But in return it provides me with a big huge screen and a far more powerful system that would hold its own longer than Air. I need to decide quick because I'm afraid there might be another price increase sooner rather than later where I live, especially for Macs.

BTW, I tried sidecar with my current IPP but because it's rather small and sidecar doesn't allow portrait mode (a very Apple thing indeed), couldn't get enough efficiency from that setup which led me to ask here. Battery drain using sidecar (wired mode) and not having enough ports on Air also worries me a bit. Which one do you think is the best way, 1 or 2?

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
I have a 256/16 gb M1 Air. Using it for both basic stuff and some programming+research - currently in the learning phase so I neither play with huge datasets nor really need too much GPU power. At least for now. Thing is, the Air's small screen is a problem for me especially when working with side by side windows. My last 14'' laptop was somewhat OK in this regard. I have a monitor but due to work reasons I'm generally away from that.

Now, I'm thinking of

1) getting a 2022 12.9'' IPP to change my 2017 IPP (can sell it or pass it to younger ones) and using it as a second screen with Air at work. This can solve my problems somewhat but I'm not sure.

2) Or I have another choice for a little higher cost: Sell the Air, get a base 16'' MBP (though I find 14'' better-looking), keep the 2017 IPP and call it a day.

In first scenario, I get a new IPP with the power of handling the foreseeable future (tablet-wise) and save myself from the trouble of changing the main work device. Besides, I would be paying a bit less in the end. Second scenario demands a bit more money+effort and results in a heavier device to carry around. But in return it provides me with a big huge screen and a far more powerful system that would hold its own longer than Air. I need to decide quick because I'm afraid there might be another price increase sooner rather than later where I live, especially for Macs.

BTW, I tried sidecar with my current IPP but because it's rather small and sidecar doesn't allow portrait mode (a very Apple thing indeed), couldn't get enough efficiency from that setup which led me to ask here. Battery drain using sidecar (wired mode) and not having enough ports on Air also worries me a bit. Which one do you think is the best way, 1 or 2?
16" MBP seems like the way to go. I'd argue that having your main screen as large as you can get it is the most productive route forward, with less critical information on the side on the smaller screen being less of an issue in general.

Tho it seems like a pretty specific set of circumstances wherein you are able to set up with a laptop and second screen iPad but not also have the space/budget for a monitor? A monitor is far far more productive than either of those setups.

Also, don't sleep on the M1 iPad Pro deals coming down the pipeline now that the M2 is out. They are just as good for your use case and shift the price/performance equation by a lot!

Biritto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2021
16" MBP seems like the way to go. I'd argue that having your main screen as large as you can get it is the most productive route forward, with less critical information on the side on the smaller screen being less of an issue in general.

Tho it seems like a pretty specific set of circumstances wherein you are able to set up with a laptop and second screen iPad but not also have the space/budget for a monitor? A monitor is far far more productive than either of those setups.

Also, don't sleep on the M1 iPad Pro deals coming down the pipeline now that the M2 is out. They are just as good for your use case and shift the price/performance equation by a lot!
I can't rely on a monitor because I don't stay around the office too much. The places I spend most of my time for work and study (like crowded benches or portable desks) aren't that suitable for a monitor. Even if they were, I definitely couldn't carry a 32 inch monster around :) I'm also not a fan of usual portable monitors.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the M1 ipads. I haven't seen a deal yet worthy enough around here but will keep looking a bit more if I decide to go that route. 16'' MBP is still very tempting, though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.