Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjs1138

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2005
It seems like a simple question, but I could not find the answer anywhere. Do I need to retain the full version of Aperture 2 after installing the Aperture 3 update version or am I free to sell it or whatever?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
You're free to sell your old copy as long as you buy the full $199 version of Aperture. If you buy the $99 upgrade you cannot sell your old copy.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Another issue to keep in mind, if you should have to re-install you will probably need the full retail of v2 to get the v3 upgrade on.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
You received no warning because you "trashed" all A2 files prior to installing. If you had not done that, a message would have greeted you on starting the A3 installer.

Hmmm, I have bought and received Aperture 3, and whilst waiting for it to arrive, I downloaded the demo, and used the product key supplied by Apple.

I had Aperture 2, but trashed all the Aperture files and app that I could find, and when installing the Version off of the CD, it never asked for any previous version...

I have a feeling it's another of the misnomer's that Apple throw at you, to kinda make you do the right thing! Like SL upgrade!

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Not just if you reinstall. If you purchase a new Mac and transfer to it, you'll need your original S/N, which probably can't have been activated elsewhere. If you do the upgrade, I doubt the old S/N will work anywhere else either. When I moved from a Macbook Pro to a Mac Pro, I had a week's worth of getting a receipt out of B&H (actually pretty easy) and getting the information to Apple without a fax machine (slow because of email turn around times) to get them to issue me a new S/N for A1 so that I could activate A2 on my new machine.

Edit: That's including the fact that I had a valid A2 upgrade S/N- which simply wouldn't work to authorize A2 on the new system. A2 still worked fine on my laptop, but there was no way to activate A2 on the new system even though I'd used Migration Assistant without an A1 S/N. Even the logic that having a valid A2 upgrade serial number that I'd successfully used about a year prior to activate A2 wasn't enough to budge the Apple Pro App authentication machine to do anything other than hold out for an original receipt.

Paul

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
It seems like a simple question, but I could not find the answer anywhere. Do I need to retain the full version of Aperture 2 after installing the Aperture 3 update version or am I free to sell it or whatever?

Read the EULA if you really care. Everyone I have read says that if you pay for an upgrade, the upgraded version is no longer allowed to be used by anyone (not even yourself). Basically it is like the original copy no longer exists. As others have said, if you pay full price for the new version you can continue to use the old one (although check the EULA if you want to sell it, that may be prohibited, Apple has some pretty tight wording).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.