Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TopGuy1104

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2021
Brentwood, NY
Debating whether to keep my iPad Air 4 or upgrade to the new M1 iPad Pro. I plan to use my iPad as a laptop companion. I’m using my laptop as a home desktop while traveling with an iPad but I don’t do the intense video stuff. I do more of browsing, watching videos/movies, video games, and doing school work via microsoft office but I also want an iPad I can future proof and make use of it for the next 6 years. Would keeping my iPad Air 4 be good or should I upgrade to the Pro?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
There’s no ironclad future proofing even with the M1 Pros. Sure, you can get one with 16GB and the higher-end storage, but in that six years, there will be OS, apps and hardware changes for which you may want to upgrade. If you get a Pro, you’re getting a great machine indeed, but you’re also locking yourself into that 6-year commitment. You may want to upgrade before then. The less expensive Air means you might be able to afford to.

I’ve got the Air 4 and it’s an excellent M1 MBA companion, especially for the types of consumption you’ve described. The price is great and the Applecare is half as much as the Pros.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
From what you described. No, skip the 2021 iPad Pro. You already have the ideal combination with the iPad Air and MacBook.

Nick05

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
Florida
I don’t see any reason for you to upgrade from the iPad Air 4. I am upgrading to the new iPad Pro from a much older iPad Pro and considered the Air very seriously. The iPad Air 4 is a very capable tablet and I don’t think you will see any real world difference for what you described as your use case. If I didn’t have my iPad Pro on order before the WWDC event, I’d probably have saved a little money and bought the Air. Since Apple didn’t remove the 5GB RAM limit per app, didn’t release anything specific the Pro can do that the older previous models can’t, and the Air using the A14 chip which is already great, unless you need Lidar, very few reasons to go Pro IMO,

Reactions: Crow_Servo

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Doubt it, especially when the form factor is upgraded.
If you don’t play intensive games, 4GB of RAM is generally enough for most casual use. No need to worry about that.
But, if you want a bit of future proof and anticipate the need of heavier workflow in the future, then go for iPad Pro 2021. They are immensely powerful.

Reactions: sahni130

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Only big reason for the upgrade is having double the ram, that might go a long way towards future proofing it for the 6 years. The SSD is also extremely fast in the m1 iPad, I’m not sure what it is for speed in the Air 4 but if it’s the same as the 12 pro then the M1’s is about triple.

Reactions: Bea220

thechickadee

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2021
Ipad air is plenty sufficient for what you're doing, the only thing that's not so future proof on your list is probably gaming, it'll support the newer games no doubt, but i doubt you'll be playing them in ultra quality (though i don't think the m1 ipad can play games in ultra settings after 3-4 years). Tbh, I would rather save the money up and get a better mac, probs wait for the alleged m1x or m2.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Debating whether to keep my iPad Air 4 or upgrade to the new M1 iPad Pro. I plan to use my iPad as a laptop companion. I’m using my laptop as a home desktop while traveling with an iPad but I don’t do the intense video stuff. I do more of browsing, watching videos/movies, video games, and doing school work via microsoft office but I also want an iPad I can future proof and make use of it for the next 6 years. Would keeping my iPad Air 4 be good or should I upgrade to the Pro?
There's no point in getting the M1 iPad Pro for your usage unless you must have FaceID and the 4 speakers. The iPad Air 4 runs A14. Apple is still supporting the A8X in the iPad Air 2, which was released back in 2014. Your iPad Air 4 will certainly be supported for 6 years. Imo the battery will go out first before the OS support.

I would stick with the iPad Air 4, use it, and once you graduated and are earning more income, you can then see what new iPad will be available.

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
The iPad Air 4 could be suitable for your tasks. But it depends on whether the screen is a deal-breaker:
60Hz v 120HZ
Mini LED XDR (on 12.9) v Liquid Retina.

I think the new 12.9 display is gorgeous and the 120Hz refresh rate in all the Pro models from 2018 onwards is very nice. It depends on whether it is worth the extra money for you. For me, it was.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Start to think about upgrading when your tools aren’t sufficient anymore. That may take a while.

Reactions: leperry

Bea220

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2020
SoCal
I bought my very first iPad ever this year and went with Space Gray M1 iPad Pro 12.9 512GB WiFi.

It’s gorgeous and super fast. I bought this with the intent of trying out my first tablet for digital drawing and hope to avoid buying a MBP (far too much machine for my use) in the future.

Even if I cave and buy a MBP for the bigger screen I’m happy knowing this iPad will last me a very long time (hopefully 6+ years) and though the price tag with the WMK and Apple Pencil combined hurt, I’m confident it’ll be a worth while investment.

Good luck on your decision.

For me, this is satisfying my laptop needs… I hope it carries me over and allows me the patience to buy a laptop in a couple of years at a good sale price instead of preordering and paying full price for the shiny new releases.

Reactions: leperry

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
first thing to do is estimate how much is the upgrade going to cost. If you don't care about speakers and promotion (and you probably don't since you bought the air) and the main thing you care is future proofing that you might actually lose more money in the long term by upgrading now than by upgrading to a better pro in 2 generations (3 years), instead of spending your money now and locking yourself for 6 years or more

Reactions: Nick05

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Keep the iPad Air 4.

Reactions: snipr125

TopGuy1104

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2021
Brentwood, NY
The iPad Air 4 could be suitable for your tasks. But it depends on whether the screen is a deal-breaker:
60Hz v 120HZ
Mini LED XDR (on 12.9) v Liquid Retina.

I think the new 12.9 display is gorgeous and the 120Hz refresh rate in all the Pro models from 2018 onwards is very nice. It depends on whether it is worth the extra money for you. For me, it was.
Tbh the refresh rate isn’t a big deal yet. Idk if it will later on. Right now only speed, Ram, compatibility and software are all my requirements. The iPad Air 4 has lower ram but the software is just as capable to allow just about everything to be used on there and since 5gb is the max ram, Pro isn’t too crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.