Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imoss92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
Hello everyone! I recently just purchased a new 15" retina MacBook Pro (with touch bar) and I am trying to decide if I should keep it or return it (still within 14 day return period). After reading about the possibility of it being updated at WWDC in a few weeks, I'm debating on returning it.

My question is whether the proposed updates to them, with newer Intel chips and other possible improvements, are worth waiting for? I am an architect and I use some graphic intensive applications so if there is a chance newer graphics cards could be released that alone would be worth waiting for. I would love 32 GB of ram but I wonder if that would be added already. Anyways, just wanted some advice from fellow Apple enthusiasts! Thanks!

In case anyone is wondering, here are the specs of the new computer:

2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB ram, AMD Radeon Pro 460 (4GB ram), 512 GB SSD.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
There's simply no way to know in advance what might be announced.

If you just got this new 15" and are at all thinking you might interested in whatever they announce, you should just return it right now and wait to see.

Once you know what's announced you can then reevaluate

CatherineVeraGat

Suspended
May 6, 2017
Hello everyone! I recently just purchased a new 15" retina MacBook Pro (with touch bar) and I am trying to decide if I should keep it or return it (still within 14 day return period). After reading about the possibility of it being updated at WWDC in a few weeks, I'm debating on returning it.

My question is whether the proposed updates to them, with newer Intel chips and other possible improvements, are worth waiting for? I am an architect and I use some graphic intensive applications so if there is a chance newer graphics cards could be released that alone would be worth waiting for. I would love 32 GB of ram but I wonder if that would be added already. Anyways, just wanted some advice from fellow Apple enthusiasts! Thanks!

In case anyone is wondering, here are the specs of the new computer:

2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB ram, AMD Radeon Pro 460 (4GB ram), 512 GB SSD.

I think that Apple would release new processors across the whole Macbook range and the Macbook Pro will have the lastest Intel processors and I would hope that there will be an 32GB memory option since their will be newer processors. But I don't know what's best for you because this upcoming Apple event hasn't release any hardware in the past 3 or 4 events and now the rumors are pretty confirming that Apple is going to release a ton of hardware at this event. Maybe want to wait till the end of the 14 day return period to check out what the rumors are saying. And figure out of there. This is a tricky decision to make.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
There's simply no way to know in advance what might be announced.

If you just got this new 15" and are at all thinking you might interested in whatever they announce, you should just return it right now and wait to see.

Once you know what's announced you can then reevaluate

You are entirely accurate. I purchased my new laptop approximately three weeks ago and when I heard the possible news of an update coming during WWDC, I was realizing that I should have possibly waited. Then I thought to myself, this update will likely just be specification wise.

Overall, I have been very happy with my purchase and I don't regret it. But it should be interesting to see if there are any changes debuting during WWDC.

Reactions: TonyK

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I think the real question is how significant are the potential changes...?

For example, how much will an upgraded GPU help you, and how significant are the current GPU contenders that Apple could choose to put in the next MBP?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Are you happy with the MBP? Yes, then keep it, if not return it.

We don't know for sure if Apple will announce new MBPs and in a sense it seems very early for them to replace the current model. If anything Apple will roll out some other models that have not been touched in years.

I'd say keep it and enjoy what you have.

Pangalactic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2016
If the rumours are true, the new model will have more efficient Kaby lake processors, maybe some extra polish (e.g. reducing high pitch fan noise on nTB model), MAYBE proper full spec models without touchbar (doesn't really take that much engineering to do), MAYBE larger battery as a result of that (as with the nTB model), and possibly up to $200 cheaper.

Overall, I would say return and wait, it's just a few weeks away and you potentially stand to gian quite a bit.

Reactions: imoss92

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Having evaluated the rumors, the 2016 TB/TB3 MBP and a 2015 MBP I went with the 2015MBP and used the money saved to get more drive space (up from 512GB to 1TB). B&H Photo has new 2015 units and AppleCare can be purchased for them.

As others have said, if the computer meets your needs then keep it. If you think the rumored features will benefit you significantly, then return it.

One can keep this game up forever trying to decide to buy now or to wait. Eventually we just have to make the decision and live with it. :)

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
France
Why would Apple introduce new MacBook Pros at WWDC if its only a processor bump of 100 MHz? Does not make sense.

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
Why would Apple introduce new MacBook Pros at WWDC if its only a processor bump of 100 MHz? Does not make sense.
IIRC, the newer processors support up to 32gb of LPDDR4 RAM, i.e. the processors are slightly faster, but also are able to utilize faster, more efficient RAM (and more of it).
It would be a net increase in battery life, power, and general performance.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
IIRC, the newer processors support up to 32gb of LPDDR4 RAM, i.e. the processors are slightly faster, but also are able to utilize faster, more efficient RAM (and more of it).
are you sure kaby lake cpu support 32gb LPDDR4?

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
Totally agree - Worst case you end up re-buying what you just bought...Best case you get it for cheaper or get something that is newer and possibly has better features.

The only true downside is having to wait a few weeks.

Totally agree- with you being agree with me :D

The downside is sad but I am also in the same boat.

imoss92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA

For example, how much will an upgraded GPU help you, and how significant are the current GPU contenders that Apple could choose to put in the next MBP?

This is one of my biggest questions regarding a potential update. I'm not sure what other graphics card options could be added to them in June, or if there has been any discussion of this being a possibility.
[doublepost=1495217767][/doublepost]

I'm not entirely sure how much of a difference 16 to 32 would make for my needs, but I'm trying to future proof this computer enough to last the next 4-5 years. If they come out with an option to have 32 gigs of ram next month that would be great and I would definitely choose that option. I wonder how realistic it is that apple would add this option since there was some upset it was not a possibility when they first came out last year.
[doublepost=1495217883][/doublepost]
Even if its working for you, and in return period, why risk it ?

Return it, wait couple weeks and get the latest machine possible.

I think this is my best bet. If nothing is updated in June then I will just have to go through the hassle of buying the same computer again and setting it up all over. My biggest concerns is the option of 32 gigs of ram and potential graphics cards updates.
[doublepost=1495218009][/doublepost]

Are there any possibilities of graphics card updates? I'm not up to speed with the latest and greatest graphics processors. This Radeon Pro 460 is definitely a good card so I wonder what they could replace or update it with by next month.

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
I'm not entirely sure how much of a difference 16 to 32 would make for my needs, but I'm trying to future proof this computer enough to last the next 4-5 years. If they come out with an option to have 32 gigs of ram next month that would be great and I would definitely choose that option. I wonder how realistic it is that apple would add this option since there was some upset it was not a possibility when they first came out last year.
I've only been able to use 12gb at max on my machines, and that's running a bunch of apps side by side (with multiple tabs open each). If it comes to the point that 16gb isn't enough I'll just reduce the amount of unnecessary programs that I leave open.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.