Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I'm at the end of my return period for my T1i.

I'm impressed by the T1i and still learning a lot (as you've noticed from my other threads). I've got a couple of lenses on the way... the 17-55 f2.8 IS USM and the 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM.

I should decide now, whether I'm going to stick with the T1i for awhile or if I should leverage my exchange period to upgrade to the 50D.

What I've realized in the two weeks of owning the T1i is that the most important things a camera must do are:
- Focus accurately
- Be easy to use

This is where the 50D seems to have an advantage. In terms of focus, it has the same 9 points, but all are cross-type and can take advantage of added sensitivity with my f2.8 lens. The T1i only has 1 such focus point in the center with the others being less sensitive.

The 50D also seems easier to use with the rear wheel and thumbstick.

There's also the fact that my lenses may look ridiculous on my small T1i body.

Hence, I'm lured by the easy $300 upgrade now. But I'm also conscious of the fact that I've barely sunk my teeth into this hobby yet and the T1i, and of course, there's always a better camera body just around the corner. I have no idea when the 50D is due for a refresh.

So any thoughts on whether I should keep the T1i, exchange it now for a 50D, or possibly use it and later decide if I want to take advantage of the next step up down the road.

Input is greatly appreciated. :)

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I bought the T1i and regretted it once I started to see how I was using it. While I didn't really think I was going to use the video feature, I never could use it and wish that I could have gotten the 50D.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I would just keep it and get a battery grip for the T1i. The grip will make the camera more ergonomic, giving it better balance with a lens like the 17-55 (a fabulous lens, by the way). It also makes shooting portraits much easier, since you don't have to jack one arm way up in the air. And your camera will look much larger in proportion to the lenses. The 50D is due for a replacement, and rumors point to an announcement next month at PMA.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
<...>

What I've realized in the two weeks of owning the T1i is that the most important things a camera must do are:
- Focus accurately
- Be easy to use

<...>

Input is greatly appreciated. :)

If it won't focus accurately and isn't easy to use after several weeks, I think you have answered your own question.

Dale

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I bought the T1i and regretted it once I started to see how I was using it. While I didn't really think I was going to use the video feature, I never could use it and wish that I could have gotten the 50D.

Yeah, I had ambitions of using the video features of the T1i as well, but realize now that they are no match for my camcorder.

If it won't focus accurately and isn't easy to use after several weeks, I think you have answered your own question.

Dale

It's not that it doesn't focus accurately or that it's a PITA to use... it's just that the 50D does have some advantages in this area.

I would just keep it and get a battery grip for the T1i. The grip will make the camera more ergonomic, giving it better balance with a lens like the 17-55 (a fabulous lens, by the way). It also makes shooting portraits much easier, since you don't have to jack one arm way up in the air. And your camera will look much larger in proportion to the lenses. The 50D is due for a replacement, and rumors point to an announcement next month at PMA.

That's a good thought... I hadn't considered a battery grip... it's especially a wise move given the potential for an immanent upgrade to the 50D and the relatively high-resale prices that Craigslist seems to demand for near-new camera's :rolleyes:

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
Yeah, I had ambitions of using the video features of the T1i as well, but realize now that they are no match for my camcorder.

It's not that it doesn't focus accurately or that it's a PITA to use... it's just that the 50D does have some advantages in this area.

That's a good thought... I hadn't considered a battery grip... it's especially a wise move given the potential for an immanent upgrade to the 50D and the relatively high-resale prices that Craigslist seems to demand for near-new camera's :rolleyes:

I kind of did the same thing you did, cept with an XSi and a 40D. I picked up an XSi and some lens's and after months of using it, and being frustrated with the XSi, I picked up a friends 40D and was amazed I didn't look @ the 40D at first.

I then sold my XSi and kit lens's and picked up a 40D + the kit lens, and sold that lens as it didn't meet my needs. The 40D focus's much faster and way more accurate then my XSi did, and it tracks focus much better, and gives me clearer images. Also, I use it more because its easier for my hands to hold.

when I was looking @ the 40D vs 50D I went with the 40D, only because I couldn't justify extra money for little more IQ and such, although I do wish I had the focus adjustment, as I had a copy of a 70-200 lens that was off by a few on my 40D.

50D is a nice camera, I'd say wait for the new one, sell the XSi and pick up the 50D at a good discount.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
I went from a rebel to a 5D and I can say the bigger camera feels much nicer in my hands, and the scroll wheel is a VERY welcome addition if you are shooting in full manual especially. I couldn't get to the aperture via the menu fast enough on the rebel. The 50D may not yield you too much more IQ (at least not noticeable) at first, but the usability of it may be welcome. This is obviously all just one guys opinion )

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
I thought the 7D was the 50D successor? Maybe I'm losing my mind lol could be because they look so similar. Why not try the 7D, much better video than the T1i anyway, that thing doesn't even have manual control :rolleyes:

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I thought the 7D was the 50D successor? Maybe I'm losing my mind lol could be because they look so similar. Why not try the 7D, much better video than the T1i anyway, that thing doesn't even have manual control :rolleyes:

There is a lot of distance between the 7D and the 50D, both in price and features. There is no way that Canon is going to leave such a yawning canyon between price points by having no real successor to the 50D. That would be ceding a lot of sales to their competitors who do have cameras around the $1200 mark.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I would love a 7D, but the price is incredibly steep. Here in Canada, it's $1900 for just the body... compared to a T1i for $700 and a 50D for $1100.

If a 50D revision came along with the 7D focusing system, that would be gold for me. Do features like that trickle down?

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
This is where the 50D seems to have an advantage. In terms of focus, it has the same 9 points, but all are cross-type and can take advantage of added sensitivity with my f2.8 lens. The T1i only has 1 such focus point in the center with the others being less sensitive.

only the center is extra-sensitive with f/2.8 or faster lenses. all others are just cross-type.

JeepGuy

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Barrie
I would love a 7D, but the price is incredibly steep. Here in Canada, it's $1900 for just the body... compared to a T1i for $700 and a 50D for $1100.

If a 50D revision came along with the 7D focusing system, that would be gold for me. Do features like that trickle down?

I don't think you will regret upgrading to the 50D, it's a great camera. one of my friends has one and loves it, he always kids me about going to the dark side when I switched to Nikon, I had a 40D for almost a year.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
yes, while the 7D is expensive, remember that when the 30/40/50D came out, the body alone was $1500 or $1600, although it dropped quickly in price.

I would rather get a 40D over the 50D. I believe they stuffed too many MP in the same sensor as the 40D. I have an XSI, and while it is a great camera, I am going to get a 40D soon. I had a 20/30D and an EOS-3, and i miss the heavier body and the separate LCD on the top.

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
yes, while the 7D is expensive, remember that when the 30/40/50D came out, the body alone was $1500 or $1600, although it dropped quickly in price.

I would rather get a 40D over the 50D. I believe they stuffed too many MP in the same sensor as the 40D. I have an XSI, and while it is a great camera, I am going to get a 40D soon. I had a 20/30D and an EOS-3, and i miss the heavier body and the separate LCD on the top.

IMO with prices now, and probably to come soon, the 50D is worth it over the 40D, for the focus adjustment. Stuff to many MP? The 7D is the same 1.6x size sensor w/ 18mp! And the 7D performs very well for it.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I believe they stuffed too many MP in the same sensor as the 40D.

That kind of talk is so 2008.

Increased resolution does much to offset the effects of a smaller pixel pitch. In practical applications, higher resolution means more detail, so resolution should not be bracketed out in assessing image quality.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I decided to stick with the T1i for now... for a few reasons.
- There are some rumors purcolating about a D60 announcement next month
- If I'm going to spend more, I should really almost wait either for the 60D or save up a bit more and just get a pre-owned 7D
- Although I'm a gear head, I really need to work on technique more than anything else
- I'm off to Hawaii tomorrow so if I swapped for the 50D today (my last opportunity) I would also have to buy a 16GB CF card from the Camera retailer ($$$) since all my memory is in the form of SDHC ... which makes an impulse switch more costly.

I'll work on my technique and post processing and look to upgrade in a few months.

Thanks for all the advice!

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
I decided to stick with the T1i for now... for a few reasons.
- There are some rumors purcolating about a D60 announcement next month
- If I'm going to spend more, I should really almost wait either for the 60D or save up a bit more and just get a pre-owned 7D
- Although I'm a gear head, I really need to work on technique more than anything else
- I'm off to Hawaii tomorrow so if I swapped for the 50D today (my last opportunity) I would also have to buy a 16GB CF card from the Camera retailer ($$$) since all my memory is in the form of SDHC ... which makes an impulse switch more costly.

I'll work on my technique and post processing and look to upgrade in a few months.

Thanks for all the advice!

Stick with the T1i for now to learn with. Once you've learned how to shoot efficiently and effectively, move up from there.

That being said, I was disappointed with the T1i. I was coming from a 5DII, since I needed a second hand camera and I didn't want to spend an arm and leg for it. Yes, the 5DII has me spoiled. But what was even more surprising, was that the T1i was very disappointing in ISO performance. Dynamic range went down quickly starting from ISO 200. You could start seeing noise at ISO 200 as well. It had me underwhelmed.

To me, even the XTi had better image quality, and that's what I started out with. I had the T1i for about a month, and then Canon announced the 7D. So I quickly sold the T1i and bought the 7D. Couldn't have made a better choice. :) ISO performance on the 7D is even better than the XTi/40D, which is impressive considering the huge jump in megapixels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.