Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pimpmypixel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2016
Last year I had the screen replaced on my late '13 MBPr and it has worked fine until recently.
At this point I need to have something plugged in to USB for it not to crash - either an external monitor or my usb soundcard. If I unplug them it's gonna it's gonna kernel panic within minutes, usually right away: the screen is gonna go black and sometimes the fan starts accelerating to full thrusters where other times it shuts down. Nothing in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/. If I start the computer with nothing plugged in it's gonna reach the desktop (not necessarily notifying me of a 'restart because of a failure') and within a couple of minutes crash.

The computer is (for this reason) newly wiped and reinstalled to 10.11.4. Would this be a software/os issue?
Any help on what I should do from here is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You need to be looking in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ ... not the users ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ folder.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
It's a hardware issue. Old G5's have the same problems you're talking about and it's ALWAYS a hardware issue.

Go in with your thermal paste and redo all the innards that need it. If necessary, calibrate the fans (those old G5's absolutely needed the calibration, but I've never had to do it on an Intel Mac). It should work fine after that if it's the same problem that plagues the G5's.

Reactions: pimpmypixel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.