Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

texascrazyhorse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2014
Texas
Hello, as I told you before I upgraded my mbp late 2008 unibody to 8 gb of RAM and everything was well but when I opened chrome I had a kernel panic, and that has been happening all day yesterday and most of today.

Emwhen I run onyx it tells me everything is fine, I check my memory and both memories appear to be OK, I even tried reinstalling mavericks and during the installation had a kernel panic that restarted my computer.

Is there a way to fix this? I don't want to go back to running 4 gigs on my Mac :\

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Do you still have the old memory chips? Put them back in and see if the problem goes away and that will tell you if you got bad RAM. Quite the coincidence this started when you put in the new RAM.

texascrazyhorse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2014
Texas
I only have one, actually, a while ago I installed a 4gb chip into the computer and had the original 1gb chip.

Yesterday I installed the additional 4 GB chip and took out the original 1gb chip.

Both the chips that I installed are exactly the same brand and type (ddr3 1066).

Right now I erased all my data (didn't have anything important) and am reinstalling osx Mavericks after a failed attempt to downgrade to snow leopard and its going well, no kernel panics. We'll see how this develops *crosses fingers*

texascrazyhorse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2014
Texas
Well, that didn't work, I left the computer downloading the additional files while I went to the store and when I come back I see the startup screen (the one you get when you hit command r) meaning it restarted again...

Guess I'll leave my computer at 5 GB *sob* :(

texascrazyhorse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2014
Texas
Problem solved, what I had was a faulty memory chip, I uninstalled and ran everything perfectly. I might stay on Mountain Lion or Snow Leopard for now on and live happily ever after lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.