Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
I went back to the Apple reseller store to handle the 16 and 14 inch laptops to see for a second time if the 16 was just too big and heavy.

Again, the 16 felt like it would be a pain to carry around.

I also tried the keyboard again after getting burned badly by the 2017 MBP butterfly keyboard.

Honestly, it is the only aspect (aside from the notch) I don't like. It feels cheap, fragile, unpleasant and unergonomic to use for extended periods. The sound is also unpleasant - tinny and shrill.

Why won't Apple learn from its mistakes? What would be wrong with a 2015-style keyboard? Who is demanding change from that?

For a £2,500 laptop at the bottom of the MBP range you don't really want to feel you're using a cheap and unpleasant keyboard.

What are your thoughts?

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
The 2021 keys are bit too "floaty" for my preference but I will take reliability and reducing the instance of keys getting stuck over the vertical travel. They get the job done.

For my stationary setup, I use one of these and it is the perfect keyboard IMO
Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 8.19.09 PM.png

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
hey @cababah thanks for your thoughts... what is the keyboard you're showing I the image?
It's the one Apple makes (Magic Keyboard). I prefer the one that also has the dedicated number keys:

They also make one for 'Apple Silicon' but it's $50 more expensive for some reason (added TouchID) but I don't personally think it is worth the additional cost.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
It feels cheap, fragile, unpleasant and unergonomic to use for extended periods. The sound is also unpleasant - tinny and shrill.
lakdf;jhwf;hwpyne[x[une[i2[e8yb239y0rb[`7-cofinelfhnwieufhiwergcbirbiwhoniweurow;rytbvoryetbp983y4ncp8nw;fhcq;wotcybiry;obxyq2linwxnbbciufhlkwhfln;whfhcf;nwxonib;itcubboa;xxnxwxleiflkjshfa;kfhak;dhfc;nnaoncfcboycboyqwonwno;immmmmmmjjjkkkkkkkkkkkkjjjjjjkkllllllkkkkkohhhhhhhhhhhhhjjjjjjjjnnnnbbbbiiiiikkkbuyfiytficytvflblkulhqwecynwnefh;cwiehf;q owiycb;quwn;xalxn;olkuegliverty;qocur0[q3oc4ytnoyi;lhcf;nalerhgc;nore'ogyw'tonqnuwei

I don't know. Sounds good to me. What key are you playing it in?

Reactions: cababah
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.