Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nbv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2020
Hello everyone, I bought a Mac Mini and it has to be set up from the welcome screen. I dont have the original keyboard but i have the same model keyboard. I’m unable to turn on Bluetooth pairing mode on the Mac Mini because it is not even set up yet. When I turn the Apple Wireless Keyboard pairing on nothing shows up on the monitor for pairing. I have the 2012 apple Wireless 1314/b keyboard with no usb connection. I know a wired mouse will access the computer but i dont have one at present to use and would like to know if anyone here is able to offer advice. Thank you everyone.

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
This article is from 2016, but if you have an iPhone, download the app in the article (mobile mouse remote) to your phone and try that with your Mac mini. If I’m understanding correctly, you can use your phone’s keyboard to at least get you started, although this isn’t something that I’ve tried before. If all else fails, you may need to pickup a wired keyboard. The only other option that I can think of for you to try is if you have a wireless keyboard with the Bluetooth dongle—connect the dongle to one of the USB ports, and the keyboard should connect. Good luck!

Nbv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2020
Yep, I borrowed a keyboard and mouse with bluetooth dongle and it worked. Thanks a lot for the answer. Last time I had a Mac I had a Mac mini back in 2005 and had it for about a year. This 2014 1.4 ghz works nice. Do you or anyone know if this is good for working at home entry level customer service or any entry level data entry?

Reactions: beach bum

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
I have a newer Mac mini that is that I’m using to work from home. As long as you can log into your work network, you shouldn’t have any issues.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
This 2014 1.4 ghz works nice. Do you or anyone know if this is good for working at home entry level customer service or any entry level data entry?

I'm sure it will be an nice upgrade from a 2005 Mini. But, unfortunately, the 1.4ghz/4gb 2014 Mini is arguably one of the worst computers Apple has introduced in years. I have one and used it as a media server for a few years. It was fine for that (just running iTunes with home sharing) but was almost useless for anything else. The very slow hard drive and 4gb non-upgradeable memory really cripple this machine.

Adding a SSD will be a big improvement, but the 4gb RAM will always be a limitation. The simplest way to add a SSD would be to get an external USB device, such as a Samsung T5 or T7 however an internal SSD will be much faster. You will have to decide whether it is adequate for your needs, everyone has different expectations. Personally, after owning one myself, I don't find it acceptable. In fact, I just put mine away in the closet last year when I upgraded to a better Mini.

Last edited:
Reactions: beach bum

Nbv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2020
In fact, I just put mine away in the closet last year when I upgraded to a better Mini.
Thanks for letting me know all this. Do you mean that no matter what it will never at all what so ever be able to be upgraded beyond 4Gb? Is that all that can not be upgraded? I paid 185 and $40 for the used Apple keyboard. I would have bought yours if you were selling it at less of a price.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
The memory is permanently soldered down and can never be upgraded. Depending on what you are doing, it may be acceptable however, especially if you add a SSD. An internal SSD will be the fastest and is pretty easy to install. Watch the video here. There are also other sources for SSD's that may be a little cheaper

Nbv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2020
if you add a SSD
Thanks for the reply, Sorry I wasn’t able to get back soon. And if I upgrade with an SSD, is there any or even a slight difference than if I had bought a Mac Mini with a lot higher memory factory pre-installed?
Is there anything else on the Mac Mini 2014 that can’t be upgraded directly?
I know I read online on computer sites that the Mac Mini 2014 is seriously limited because of upgradeability. If an SSD can be added will that not just perfectly and equally solve the limits entirely that some people say are drastically prohibitive; for one if not more instances, regarding the memory? Thanks a lot.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Macs use something called "virtual memory". So, if you are doing something that requires 8gb of RAM but only have 4gb, the Mac allocates 8gb of space on disk and "swaps" data between this area and the physical memory. With a hard disk, this slows the computer way down, because data is constantly being copied to and from the disk. The same thing happens if you have a SSD, but it is much faster. Depending on what you are doing, you might not even be aware of this "swapping". But for more demanding tasks, it will still be noticeable.

So, the SSD will help with the problem of not having enough memory but will still always be slower than having enough physical RAM. The bottom line is that 4gb just isn't enough memory today, you should have at least 8gb or even 16gb.

Nbv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2020
Ok, sounds good. If I put in a really good SSD in the Mac Mini do you know if this should work for the average telephone customer service representative work demands?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I am not familiar with computing demands for customer service representatives, sorry. But, IMO, the 1.4ghz/4gb 2014 Mini would not be desirable for any business purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.