Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I'll give you a few as a long-time Apple Watch owner (since Series One)

If you are into weather, CARROT WEATHER, FORECAST BAR and DARK SKY. Probably in that order. All alert you on the watch to weather conditions and when rain is about to begin and end. WEATHER CHANNEL may be free and that also does a great job.

Install news apps like CNN, MSNBC, FOX, ABC, CBS, etc. Be sure to open each app and let it know you want notifications sent to you. You will get instant news alerts on your watch.

TIMELINE is a great app too which will send you daily notifications with your calendar alerts.

HOOKS is another great app. You can really customize some cool alerts to be sent to your phone. I believe that is a free app.

Reactions: staggerlee41

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
My favorite app for podcasts on the watch so far is Outcast - it has by far the most useful and well designed complications with live updating of current playhead status regardless of how you pause/play the show (now playing widget, headphones, or the app itself) - it’ll display the album artwork for the show you are playing too. Fully updated for the Infograph faces.

Most importantly this is a standalone app that handles all of the downloads of episodes directly on the watch itself, no slow transferring from your phone. All direct on the watch. It is fully updated for os5.

You can subscribe to new shows on the go or send them all over from the iPhone.

It’s a must have app - Outcast for Watch by Crunchy Bagel
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/outcast-for-watch/id1326693810?mt=8

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I have to learn about Podcasts. I downloaded Outcast from the above recommendation but have no idea what Podcasts are available. Sadly, after all these years, I have yet to hear a single podcast but I think I could benefit from some of them.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
There seem to be a number of Timeline apps in the store, which pone are you referring to?

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. TIMEPAGE (Calendar by Moleskin) is the name of the app, actually. Highly recommended. It was recommended on one of the major Mac app sites about a year or two ago.

Reactions: dbrewood

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. TIMEPAGE (Calendar by Moleskin) is the name of the app, actually. Highly recommended. It was recommended on one of the major Mac app sites about a year or two ago.
Thanks for that, I've now got it and will check it out during the week. Muchly appreciated.

AtikCzaTok

macrumors member
May 10, 2016
I’m really enjoying the following apps.

-Fantastical 2 (mainly because it incorporates the reminders and calendar events into one complication).
-WorkOutdoors.. excellent gps tracker with vector based mapping.
-Just Press record
-Autosleep
-Heartwatch

I rely on these daily.

Reactions: cfc

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
As a wearer of Apple Watch Series 2 and now 4 I've found the new infographic faces great but there are many apps that still have not provided complications for them yet. I suspect this will be changing over time.

With Apple watch 4, I enjoy:

Carrot Weather
SkyGuide
AutoSleep/Heartwatch

I'm going to have to look into some of the suggestions and keep my eyes on this thread for updates. Great conversation going on!

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
WorkOutDoors
Gymaholic
Autosleep/Heartwatch
Secureauth Authenticate (if you use their two factor authentication)
Alarm.com (if you have their security system/cameras)
Gasbuddy (if you're into saving 5-20 cents per gallon)

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
Well on the flip side Stocard not functioning on my Series 4 keeps me from using my Series 4. I have a membership at a health club that I use almost daily that uses a code scanner for door entry into all areas and code scanning is only works now on Series 3 and below......Wa.....

markl9

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
London, UK
Well on the flip side Stocard not functioning on my Series 4 keeps me from using my Series 4. I have a membership at a health club that I use almost daily that uses a code scanner for door entry into all areas and code scanning is only works now on Series 3 and below......Wa.....

Just checked and Stocard works fine on my Series 4, might be worth re-installing it on the watch?

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
Just checked and Stocard works fine on my Series 4, might be worth re-installing it on the watch?

I wish! NO the developer has confirmed that the barcodes do not display on the 4....it loads on my watch but it crushes the bar code and is unable to scan.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I wish! NO the developer has confirmed that the barcodes do not display on the 4....it loads on my watch but it crushes the bar code and is unable to scan.

That’s weird. Is it ones you add to Wallet, or the actual Stocard app?

I’m just curious because I read this thread last night before my new Watch arrived (at a ridiculous time of night) so one of the first things I checked was the Stocard app. Mine are displaying properly from within the Stocard app itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.