Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Got some diopters to play with macro photography... too bad they were 52mm filter size and I don't have any lenses that fit that (sold the 50 because I never use that FL).

So, I borrowed an 18-55 kit lens. It was beat up, non IS and had a filter glued on. I stacked 3 Hoya diopters (+1, +2 and +4 I believe) and shot away. No flash was used. I'm sure I would have gotten much better pictures if I had a better lens on, but it worked!

These were my favorites after 15 minutes of shooting. Just goes to show that cheap doesn't mean you can't take pictures. 30d+18-55 kit+cheap light kit box reflectors. Shot with very little natural light.

I want to buy an 18-55 IS kit since I've heard such great things. My only concern is that it would look out of place in a bag full of big white lenses!

No modifications were made to the photos other then cropping the horizontal one (too much junk around, so its not as sharp now :() Basic USM and curves used of course.

2555018160_b719f25c14.jpg

2554192725_b62f62feb2.jpg

2554195101_13f5025fc6.jpg

2555020216_40c8b539f4.jpg

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
That is really impressive! Especially for a kit lens..

I am hoping to soon purchase an extender ring for my 16-85mm VR kit lens, as macro photography has always been an obsession of mine. What exactly is a diopter though?

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
That is really impressive! Especially for a kit lens..

I am hoping to soon purchase an extender ring for my 16-85mm VR kit lens, as macro photography has always been an obsession of mine. What exactly is a diopter though?

A diopter is a screw on to the filter ring that acts like a magnifying glass, in essence. Its not as effective as a dedicated macro lens or an extension tube, but it can make nice results and its WAY cheaper (the whole set was like 30 bucks).

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Its shots like these that make amateur photographers such as myself glad we don't NEED to spend lots of cash on lenses. Ya we can spend the cash and get better lenses, but if your not aspiring to become a pro, just a decent amateur for the family and fun, its nice to know that kit lens in my bag over there will do pretty darned good for my needs.

Nice Job! Awesome shots. I like the last and second to the last. Just don't take too many nice shots with that kit lens, you will debunk the religion of expensive glass. ;) (before someone gets their drawers in a bunch, I am poking fun of the "Its not me, its the crappy lenses that take crappy pictures", people even though time and again they have been told to try different ISO or shutter speed, or Flash)

flinch13

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2004
Nice shots! I must say though, you get way more bang for your buck if you just get a nice tripod and a reverse macro ring. I just got one in the mail a few days ago. Tricky to get used to, and certainly a challenge, but when you know how to use it you can literally fill a frame with the head of a caterpillar.

I just use a 58mm thread reverse ring with my kit lens, a tripod, a shutter remote, and plenty of light. Really impressive stuff, and you don't get any degradation in quality because of all the extra glass the light has to pass through (diopters add layers; bad). Only thing is you need to stop down a lot to get a usable field of view (like to f/8), but it's a super cheap way to get some really impressive shots.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Nice shots! I must say though, you get way more bang for your buck if you just get a nice tripod and a reverse macro ring. I just got one in the mail a few days ago. Tricky to get used to, and certainly a challenge, but when you know how to use it you can literally fill a frame with the head of a caterpillar.

I just use a 58mm thread reverse ring with my kit lens, a tripod, a shutter remote, and plenty of light. Really impressive stuff, and you don't get any degradation in quality because of all the extra glass the light has to pass through (diopters add layers; bad). Only thing is you need to stop down a lot to get a usable field of view (like to f/8), but it's a super cheap way to get some really impressive shots.

A reversing ring is much harder to use imo. Diopter is just screw on and forget it.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Plus it's expensive!!! I was at my local camera store and their cheapest Nikon ring was like $230, compared to a $25 diopter..

A macro reverse-ring is just a ring like a filter, but no glass, and threads at both sides. I have seen some at B&H for around $14.00 a year or two ago. Now, there are electronic reverse-rings that are very expensive.
Well, this one for Canon is a little cheaper, but still more expensive than some macro lenses, although this ring would probably give you a lot of options.
http://www.amazon.com/Novoflex-Reverse-ring-Canon-EF/dp/B0002SSFIE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.