Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
I have had my Canon Digital Rebel (300D) for about 3 years now. The kit lens as you all know isnt the greatest. Please give me suggestions on a replacement lens that won't cost me an arm and a leg. Looking to spend no more than $400ish. Kit lens in 18mm-55mm and I forget the rest of the specs.

Thanks

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I have had my Canon Digital Rebel (300D) for about 3 years now. The kit lens as you all know isnt the greatest. Please give me suggestions on a replacement lens that won't cost me an arm and a leg. Looking to spend no more than $400ish. Kit lens in 18mm-55mm and I forget the rest of the specs.

Thanks

1. What focal length do you normally shoot at with that lens?
2. Are you missing shots because it's not longer?
3. Are you missing shots because it's not wider?
4. Are you missing shots because it's not faster?
5. Rate the above (2-4) in terms of importance.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Like Compuwar said, it's hard to just give suggestions for a lens without knowing why you feel you need a new one. Do you want to be able to zoom in more, or do you want to be able to zoom out more? Do you want to be able to shoot in low light without flash, or do you want a better all-purpose lens?

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
I am looking for faster and longer than the kit lens.
I want a good all around lens

Decent low light performance would be good too.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Something faster than the 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 would be an f/2.8 lens. The 17-55 f/2.8 and 24-70 f/2.8 would suit your needs but not your wallet.

Maybe something like the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 or, if you want more zoom, the 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 might work, but I don't know anything about those lenses.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I am looking for faster and longer than the kit lens.
I want a good all around lens

Decent low light performance would be good too.

About the only way to do that and stay in the low 3 digit price range is to go with Primes. Get a 50mm or an 85mm in f/1.4 or f/1.8. I think the 85mm would make an ideal compliment to the kit lens but would not replace it. I use the 85 a lot when I'm in a larger space or outdoors and the 50mm indoors for people shots

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Can some one explain what a "Prime" lens is for me??

Like I said my budget at this point is $400 roughly.....so I don't think I could buy a $400 prime lens and have $300 left over for a macro lens

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006

Like I said my budget at this point is $400 roughly.....so I don't think I could buy a $400 prime lens and have $300 left over for a macro lens

A prime lens is a lens that has just one focal length, i.e. no zoom. They tend to be smaller, lighter, faster(wider aperture), and better quality than their zoom equivalents, though there are now zooms which are very good lenses. Most companies manufacture a 'standard' lens, originally for film, which will be roughly a 50mm/1.8. These are very cheap, used to be the kit lenses, and IMHO it is a crime that they have been replaced by cheap and shoddy zooms for this purpose.

David.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC

Oops. And I wasn't very clear. The 50mm f/1.8 is about $70. You'd have a lot left over after buying one. If you can sell your current lens for $50 online or something, you'd have a $450 budget. For that you could get the 50mm f/1.8, which is very fast and very sharp, and the Sigma 17-70, which is a big improvement over your lens in quality, and is a little faster and a little wider and a little longer, and can focus fairly close for OK macro.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Oops. And I wasn't very clear. The 50mm f/1.8 is about $70. You'd have a lot left over after buying one. If you can sell your current lens for $50 online or something, you'd have a $450 budget. For that you could get the 50mm f/1.8, which is very fast and very sharp, and the Sigma 17-70, which is a big improvement over your lens in quality, and is a little faster and a little wider and a little longer, and can focus fairly close for OK macro.

Yeah, I wouldn't keep your kit lens AND buy the 17-70, but if you sold your 18-55 then the 17-70 would become a nice walkaround, general use lens. Then you'd be fine with the 50mm 1.8 which would be great for portraits and indoor shows etc. I'm no expert, but from what I gather a 50mm viewpoint is about the same as the wide angle side on a P&S.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
a 50mm viewpoint is about the same as the wide angle side on a P&S.

No, a 50mm lens on one of these crop-sensor cameras is a mild telephoto. The "normal" field of view lens is around 35mm (50mm fills this role on a full-frame or film camera). Wide-angle would fall below that; although I'm not sure exactly what "wide angle side on a P&S" is, exactly.

The 50mm lenses are inexpensive largely because of economy of scale in manufacturing - they were the standard prime for film shooters, and lots of people bought them (so Canon, Nikon, etc. were able to build lots of them). If you look at the 35mm primes you'll see the price is somewhat higher. I do love my Nikon 35mm f/2 though - wonderfully sharp.

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is in your budget. Anything longer while maintaing the wide angle won't be good quality so you'd be better off keeping the kit and getting a telephoto. If, however, you want a nice kit focal length lens and are prepared to drop the extra on a tele later then this is an awesome lens.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
No, a 50mm lens on one of these crop-sensor cameras is a mild telephoto. The "normal" field of view lens is around 35mm (50mm fills this role on a full-frame or film camera). Wide-angle would fall below that; although I'm not sure exactly what "wide angle side on a P&S" is, exactly.

The 50mm lenses are inexpensive largely because of economy of scale in manufacturing - they were the standard prime for film shooters, and lots of people bought them (so Canon, Nikon, etc. were able to build lots of them). If you look at the 35mm primes you'll see the price is somewhat higher. I do love my Nikon 35mm f/2 though - wonderfully sharp.

I stand corrected :)

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007

Thanks

the kit lens isn't so bad.

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is in your budget. Anything longer while maintaing the wide angle won't be good quality so you'd be better off keeping the kit and getting a telephoto. If, however, you want a nice kit focal length lens and are prepared to drop the extra on a tele later then this is an awesome lens.

I have this lens and it is superb lens for the price, great IQ, speed, only bad thing is the noisy autofocus. about $50 outside of your price range but ebay has great deals, got mine there for less than $400 new. It's a great stepping stone on the way up the lens ladder. Low light performance is decent, far better than the kit lens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.