Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swrobel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2014
My R-41PM speakers are connected to my Macbook Pro 16" running macOS 10.15.7 via USB. It seems that the speakers are somehow sending the Mac a constant volume down signal when connected. This manifests itself when attempting to reduce the volume using the keyboard buttons, where the volume jumps down several notches per keypress. I've uploaded a video that demonstrates this:

In the first part of the video, where I press the volume down key 3 times, which reduces the volume all the way to muted (instead of 3 notches). I've tested & confirmed this issue on a brand new M1 Macbook Air running macOS 11.2 - however, I was not able to reproduce it when connected to a Windows PC.

In the second part of the video, I'm using BetterTouchTool to attempt to record a keyboard shortcut. As soon as I focus the input box to record a shortcut, it detects that "volume down" is being pressed, even though I don't have any keys pressed. Both of these behaviors stop when I disconnect the speakers.

I've crossposted to the Klipsch support forums as well, but figured I'd post here as well since this seems to be Mac-specific.

swrobel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2014
You might get a "not supported/compatible" response. Have they ever worked on a Mac?
Audio output works just fine and the Volume level is consistent unless I actually change volume with they keys or the remote that came with the speakers.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Audio output works just fine and the Volume level is consistent unless I actually change volume with they keys or the remote that came with the speakers.
Two different Macs doing the same thing…and I assume that's a "no" to ever having worked on any Mac. Is there any info on anyone ever using these speakers on a Mac?

A lot of USB audio devices (like for home recording) that work with macOS don't even respond to the macOS built-in audio controls. Yours is responding…but with issues. I suspect the USB audio device in the speakers just isn't compliant with macOS.

You could look at System Information to see if the description of the USB device provides any clues.

swrobel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2014
Two different Macs doing the same thing…and I assume that's a "no" to ever having worked on any Mac. Is there any info on anyone ever using these speakers on a Mac?
I wasn't aware that compatibility was an issue with USB audio, but I guess you learn something new every day. Their site/manuals don't say anything about Mac/Windows at all, so I just assumed it was a standard that should just work. Alas...

Anyway, other users have reported using Klipsch speakers with their Macs, but I'm not sure if they were using USB audio:
You could look at System Information to see if the description of the USB device provides any clues.
Here's what it shows:

Product ID: 0x180a
Vendor ID: 0x262a
Version: 0.01
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/s
Manufacturer: NAE Technologies Inc
Location ID: 0x14440000 / 2
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

Appreciate your help!

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Kind of a rabbit hole looking for this stuff.

If you've ever considered getting a USB audio interface this might be the time. They'll sound just as good (and maybe better) hooked via audio lines to a decent one.

Reactions: swrobel

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I wasn't aware that compatibility was an issue with USB audio, but I guess you learn something new every day. Their site/manuals don't say anything about Mac/Windows at all, so I just assumed it was a standard that should just work. Alas...

Anyway, other users have reported using Klipsch speakers with their Macs, but I'm not sure if they were using USB audio:
I am not using USB, I'm using the 3.5 mm headphone jack. I tried USB, and liked the sound better from the Audio output. I believe with the Audio port I'm using the built-in DAC in my NcMP and USB would use the Klipsch DAC in the speakers.

Lou

Reactions: swrobel

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'm a believer in "simple solutions that work".
And if it's "just a workaround", that's ok with me as well.

If you're getting good USB output to the speakers
BUT
The Mac-based volume controls don't work
THEN
Use the volume control on the speakers, and be done with it.

Hmmm....
It comes with a remote control, is that correct?
Just use the remote...

swrobel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2014
I'm a believer in "simple solutions that work".
And if it's "just a workaround", that's ok with me as well.

If you're getting good USB output to the speakers
BUT
The Mac-based volume controls don't work
THEN
Use the volume control on the speakers, and be done with it.

Hmmm....
It comes with a remote control, is that correct?
Just use the remote...
Good point, and I certainly would ignore it if it didn't have any other ill effects, but it also makes input sluggish because I presume the keyboard is competing with the input coming from the speaker. As soon as I pull the USB cable it feels snappy again.

I guess it's my innate curiosity that just wants to get to the bottom of this. USB seemed like a perfectly reasonable way to connect speakers to my Mac in 2021, but I suppose I should just fall back to the trusty line-out and be done with this hassle. ?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Is there a USB hub involved here someplace?
If so, what happens if you REMOVE the hub from the equation...?

swrobel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2014
Is there a USB hub involved here someplace?
If so, what happens if you REMOVE the hub from the equation...?
No hub although the speaker has a USB-B to USB-A cable so I'm using an Apple USB-C to A adapter

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
When plugged into the Audio jack, the Mac's volume control works just fine.

Lou

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.