Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Siri will not process my requests to set alarms and timers, add events to my calendars, set reminders (amongst other things). S/he will make calls to my contacts, occasionally. I've called Apple Tech Support. I sunsequently made a Genius Bar appointment a week ago Thursday, and the Genius ran it through a bunch of tests, did resets, etc., and told me she'd call back at the beginning of the past week.

Since I never heard back from her I stopped in yesterday and spoke with another Genius. He told me he had intermittent issues with Siri as well. I told him I understand, but Siri hasn't worked for me for three weeks in this more peculiar fashion (some requests work while others consistently do not). The Genius sent me this email shortly thereafter:

image.jpeg

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Would you just continue to wait and update in hopes to be able to use the feature (Siri) again?

Thank you.

Ckmcc

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2016
Siri will not process my requests to set alarms and timers, add events to my calendars, set reminders (amongst other things). S/he will make calls to my contacts, occasionally. I've called Apple Tech Support. I sunsequently made a Genius Bar appointment a week ago Thursday, and the Genius ran it through a bunch of tests, did resets, etc., and told me she'd call back at the beginning of the past week.

Since I never heard back from her I stopped in yesterday and spoke with another Genius. He told me he had intermittent issues with Siri as well. I told him I understand, but Siri hasn't worked for me for three weeks in this more peculiar fashion (some requests work while others consistently do not). The Genius sent me this email shortly thereafter:

View attachment 612201

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Would you just continue to wait and update in hopes to be able to use the feature (Siri) again?

Thank you.

My father in law can't see any more, so he uses Siri on an iPad. She used to answer his questions about the nba Portland trailblazers. Then she started displaying web pages instead...no help because obviously he can't see them. But she would still tell him when they played next, time, etc.

As of a month ago she stopped even recognizing them at all. He's getting frustrated and wants to throw her out the window! Any suggestions? Ideas?! I can't make her answer right on my iPhone either.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Sorry to hear that your father-in-law's @Ckmcc isn't functioning, either. I was wondering if this was, indeed, affecting other people or not as non of my friends or family have experienced the problem. Hopefully, "it just works" again soon.

sevenseconds

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2013
Sorry to hear that your father-in-law's @Ckmcc isn't functioning, either. I was wondering if this was, indeed, affecting other people or not as non of my friends or family have experienced the problem. Hopefully, "it just works" again soon.

Have had this problem on my 6s+ since Dec 25 and on my iPad Air in the past month. I have a huge iCloud Music Library - my best guess is that that is causing this problem somewhere in the chain. Do either of you also have large iCloud Music Libraries?

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Hi Guys.

Not having this issue on my iPhone 6 Plus iOS 9.2.1 and I use Siri frequently to create reminders etc.

I do not use iCloud Music Libraries.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Have had this problem on my 6s+ since Dec 25 and on my iPad Air in the past month. I have a huge iCloud Music Library - my best guess is that that is causing this problem somewhere in the chain. Do either of you also have large iCloud Music Libraries?

Most of my music is stored locally on the phone, but I do have around 10 gigs of music in the cloud. Hoping 9.3 fixes this for me.

brassiclint

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
Surrey, UK
I've been having this problem since getting my iPhone 6 last month and it's been driving me nuts! It worked fine on my old 5s.

After reading this thread, I realised that at the same time I went from a 64GB device where I stored all my music locally to 16GB device and subscribed to iTunes Match to store my music on iCloud.

Turning off iCloud Music library restores Siri functionality! But then I have no music on my device :(

So there's clearly a link (I turned iCloud library back on and Siri stopped working again) - I hope Apple will fix soon! Maybe in 9.3 - anyone using the Beta with a large iCloud library that can verify if Siri still functions?

Reactions: zachlegomaniac

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
I've been having this problem since getting my iPhone 6 last month and it's been driving me nuts! It worked fine on my old 5s.

After reading this thread, I realised that at the same time I went from a 64GB device where I stored all my music locally to 16GB device and subscribed to iTunes Match to store my music on iCloud.

Turning off iCloud Music library restores Siri functionality! But then I have no music on my device :(

So there's clearly a link (I turned iCloud library back on and Siri stopped working again) - I hope Apple will fix soon! Maybe in 9.3 - anyone using the Beta with a large iCloud library that can verify if Siri still functions?

I turned off iCloud music library on my iPhone, but Siri still isn't functioning at all. Did you have to turn it off on your Mac, too? God, I feel like I'm troubleshooting my Gateway computer running Windows 95 back in the day. Lol.

brassiclint

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
Surrey, UK
I turned off iCloud music library on my iPhone, but Siri still isn't functioning at all. Did you have to turn it off on your Mac, too? God, I feel like I'm troubleshooting my Gateway computer running Windows 95 back in the day. Lol.

No still have it enabled on my Mac & iPad. Just turned it off, restarted my iPhone and checked in music app to check it had disabled. Then Siri just started to work like she always did!

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
siri won't do location reminders for the most part now. she will get all the words "remind me when I get to walmart to pickup eggs" and she will get all the words but may say what do you want to be reminded of or can't find walmart in my contacts though I put it in there just to make sure. I had no problems till about a month ago now it is getting really annoying. Of course it is worse for my blind wife.

sevenseconds

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2013
What do we have to do to get MacRumors to post this bug on their front page? I haven't had working Siri for months now, have done extensive troubleshooting with high level Apple support, wrote macrumors a "tip", and they've ignored it. Now that I know other people have a similar issue, this is a big story:

Flagship feature of iPhone inoperable because customers had the gall to pay Apple $10/month:/. The irony of this situation seems particularly bitter.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What do we have to do to get MacRumors to post this bug on their front page? I haven't had working Siri for months now, have done extensive troubleshooting with high level Apple support, wrote macrumors a "tip", and they've ignored it. Now that I know other people have a similar issue, this is a big story:

Flagship feature of iPhone inoperable because customers had the gall to pay Apple $10/month:/. The irony of this situation seems particularly bitter.
What's the $10/month about?

brassiclint

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
Surrey, UK
I don't have Match and I still have these same issues with Siri

My issue is 100% related to that, so it sounds like you have a different issue.

In fact I just had my iP6 replaced due to a broken backlight and when I restored from iCloud I had lost Siri again, iCloud Music Library was still disabled, but I had to enable it, reboot, disable it, and reboot again to kick her back into life. So there's no doubt in my mind that it's the problem (in my case).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.