Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aorr

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
Rumors indicate there could be a slight possibility of modems in the new MacBook Pros. Obviously that didn’t happen. I’m curious if anyone is disappointed by this?

Some thoughts:
- While it would distract from iPad sales to have 5G in MacBook Pros, I can see the obvious advantages of not having to find a WiFi connection or tether with a phone.
- Including a modem could have helped push iCloud Document storage having all apple devices include an option for cellular connectivity
- Find My would be significantly more useful for lost laptops or stollen laptops having an always-pinging service even when the device is off (or through Bluetooth like iPhones use right now. Actually, I guess it wouldn’t need a cellular connectivity for this to work (ex. AirTags and iPhones).

Does anyone miss apple including modems? While I’m not one to keep adding services to my already-expensive cellular bill, it would be nice to have the option of getting a cellular modem for $100 more or such.

Reactions: kd5jos

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
That would be a pretty solid use of, “…and another thing.” I don’t think it would gut iPad/iPhone sales as much as everyone thinks. I use an iPad as a daily driver because modem, but also because portability, and time of function. The perfect setup for me would be Desktop, iPad, Apple Watch. The iPhone really doesn’t DO anything for me except:
Health
CarPlay

Move those to the iPad with the Apple Watch app, and I’d have no reason for a phone. The iPad gives me more screen real estate, and for anything that doesn’t need a screen, my watch does it.

Anything that I’d need a laptop for is better done on a desktop, or is more portable being done on an iPad.

If Apple REALLY wanted to move the needle, they’d allow people to work without the iPhone (which is no longer necessary). I could see some people that would prefer the Laptop/Phone combo instead of the desktop/iPad/watch combo. I just wish the iPhone was optional instead of demanded by Apple…

Reactions: aorr

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I expect modems in Macs just in time when Apple has its own modems, and does't rely on Qualcomm. Ans yes, I would like to have one.

THIS. The lack of 4G and 5G connectivity is likely more a commercial limitation than a technological one. Qualcomm generally wants a ridiculous royalty based on the selling price per machine, rather than a flat fee per unit.

Reactions: aorr

aorr

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
Good stuff. Thanks for the feedback. More time will tell. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.