Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gpulvi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hi, I've got a small but annoying issue with my late 2013 15" base rMBP.

When it boots, the desktop shows up in a laggy way, not fluid. Everything else works fine, Safari, iPhoto, iMovie, Pages...

I'm using it in the recommended resolution, the wallpaper is 2880 x 1800, and the only app that opens automatically is Dropbox.

I've been using a late 2012 for a while and it doesn't do that. The desktop shows up smoothly when booted.

Any ideas will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Try resetting the SMC and PRAM of your machine. You can find instructions on how to do this on apples website or google.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Try resetting the SMC and PRAM of your machine. You can find instructions on how to do this on apples website or google.

I don't think the SMC/PRAM will have anything to do with performance. They hold settings and configurations. Neither of which really will help with performance.

OP, open up activity monitor (found in Applications->Utilities) and see what processes are running and consuming CPU

danwestbrook

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
Surrey, UK
Try using the Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities> Disk Utility) Click your Macintosh HD and first off Repair Disk Permissions, let that fix any problems then click Repair Disk, I suspect you will get an error there and have you boot into recovery mode (CMD R at bootup) and run the repair disk from there. Worse case you might have to do a full backup and install a fresh version of OS X.

Hi, I've got a small but annoying issue with my late 2013 15" base rMBP.

When it boots, the desktop shows up in a laggy way, not fluid. Everything else works fine, Safari, iPhoto, iMovie, Pages...

I'm using it in the recommended resolution, the wallpaper is 2880 x 1800, and the only app that opens automatically is Dropbox.

I've been using a late 2012 for a while and it doesn't do that. The desktop shows up smoothly when booted.

Any ideas will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You could have some sort of issue with your user account. Create a new one and log into it after a restart...see if the problem exists.

As to user account problems...they can occur after using migration assistant. Did you migrate the account from that other Mac (or any other Mac)?

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
I don't think the SMC/PRAM will have anything to do with performance. They hold settings and configurations. Neither of which really will help with performance.

OP, open up activity monitor (found in Applications->Utilities) and see what processes are running and consuming CPU

Its worth a shot, can't do much wrong with resetting SMC/PRAM

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its worth a shot, can't do much wrong with resetting SMC/PRAM

Not really, its just spinning his wheels making him reboot the machine for no real reason. There's no harm but why bother having the OP jump through hoops of its not going to do anything.

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Not really, its just spinning his wheels making him reboot the machine for no real reason. There's no harm but why bother having the OP jump through hoops of its not going to do anything.

You feel that strongly about it do you?

Gpulvi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Buenos Aires, Argentina
You could have some sort of issue with your user account. Create a new one and log into it after a restart...see if the problem exists.

As to user account problems...they can occur after using migration assistant. Did you migrate the account from that other Mac (or any other Mac)?

Nope, I didn't use migration assistant. Just created a new account and migrate manually documents, music, photos and videos from my previous Mac.

Also did a fresh install of my apps.

Gpulvi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Buenos Aires, Argentina
So the problem exists in a new, different user account?

Yes. I've renamed, resized (2800 px x 1800 px x 220 ppi) and moved the file I use as wallpaper to the "Images" folder, that seemed to do the trick.

I've figured it out by changing the wallpaper to a solid color. When rebooted, the desktop showed up smoothly, so I edited the image with Photoshop with the resolution above and then it worked.

Thanks for your answers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.